This internship offered by Old Salem Museums & Gardens is underwritten by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in North Carolina. The internship is directed at graduate students in museum studies, American history, historic preservation, historic architecture and archaeology. Activities will focus on aspects in the Old Salem National Historic Landmark District in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where the Colonial Dames owns the oldest surviving building,
the 1768 Fourth House.
The Intern will work approximately 37.5 hours per week, 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday, except for institutional holidays. The internship will last 10 weeks with flexibility beginning in May or June. The internship is a full-time, temporary staff position for 10 weeks at Old Salem Museums & Gardens, taking place during the summer of 2014. The intern will be selected by Old Salem staff on a competitive basis.
Research will be focused on the historic Town of Salem, under the supervision of the Director of Architecture. Specific research projects will be based on the best fit of potential topics to the interest and skills of the intern. Other activities may include assisting in ongoing functions to manage the research materials of the museum, such as helping with digitization of images and architectural drawings.
- Currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, a graduate program in history, public history, historic preservation, architectural history, historic archaeology, or similar field. Priority will be given to graduate students who are enrolled in North Carolina colleges and universities.
- Responsible, reliable and dedicated to quality of job performance
- Good research skills in primary materials
- Good computer skills with basic office applications, knowledge of CAD or GIS software are a plus
- Able to pass a drug test and background check
A $2,500 stipend is offered along with available housing at the museum. Payments will be paid on a biweekly payroll basis.
Free on-site housing is available, if needed.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest with proposed schedule, resume, Old Salem employment application, and two letters of recommendation in hard copy by USPS:
David Bergstone, Director of Architecture
Old Salem Museums & Gardens
600 S. Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Or electronically in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
for questions call 336-721-7341
Keywords: old salem, internship, preservation
Posted: January 17, 2014
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.