|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Join our crew for an outdoor adventure preserving and repairing historic structures across Minnesota. You’ll train alongside preservation pros while earning a living stipend, educational award and certificate of skill development.
Crew members serve with six others ages 18-25 and camp out in some of the most unique settings in MN. Our two half seasons are from June to August or August to November, or join us for the full season from June to November. Now hiring crew members for June and August!
HOW IT WORKS
AmeriCorps members earn a living allowance, take advantage of student loan forbearance and earn an education award. Our half season is from June to August, or August to November with the full season from June to November. You’ll also obtain a certificate of skill development, and credentials to carry over into careers in the preservation and trades industry. Half Season (June – August, August – November): Stipend, $5,635, Ed Award $1,527Full Season (June – November): Stipend $11,271, Ed Award $2,887
By working with us to repair and restore historic buildings, structures and landscapes we are providing the opportunity to learn real-world skills and open the door to a future career. During and after the program you have access to an advisor network of trades professionals, trade unions, and historic preservation specialists.
Will you join us on our next project?
Full Program Year: May 30t to Nov 22 (26 weeks)
Summer Term: May 30 to Aug 23 (13 weeks)
Fall Term: Aug 23 to Nov 22 (13 weeks)
Stipend and Award:$867 bi-weekly living allowance
AmeriCorps Education award after completion of program,
Full Program = $2,877.50
Summer / Fall Term = $1,527.45
Here’s the Pathway: Join us as a corpsmember and receive on-the-job training to learn historic preservation skills. Work includes a variety of projects including, restoring historic buildings, cemetery monument resetting and cleaning, and historic landscape restoration. Come learn lifelong hands-on skills from technical specialists while camping and exploring greater Minnesota. This is a full-time commitment for either a 26 or a 13 week AmeriCorps service term. Crew Members receive a bi-weekly living stipend and an education award upon successful completion of the term.
Crews consist of 5 corpsmembers (ages 18-25), led by 1 crew leader, who work and camp together. Applicants must be flexible to work 8 days in a row and then have 6 days off throughout their service term. Food, campsites and group camping gear are provided while working on projects. The crew is provided a corps vehicle to travel from Duluth to the work locations. All AmeriCorps members are required to take a ½ hour lunch which does not contribute to service hours. This position involves physically challenging and team-oriented work. Work is performed mostly outdoors in all weather conditions and all projects involve extended camping near the work project site.
- Ability to live and work well with others in a team setting.
- Positive attitude and interest in service and community work.
- Desire to learn about historic preservation.
- Effective communication skills.
- Dedication to complete the AmeriCorps service term. Requirements: 18-25 years old.
- Able to perform the essential functions of the job 10 hours per day:
- Manual labor - heavy lifting, bending, and carrying up to 50 pounds
- Attention to detail and willing to follow standards for historic preservation
- Repetitive cleaning and restoring of historic structures and objects
- Walking/working on steep or uneven terrain
- Working outdoors, rain or shine, in heat/cold, and dealing with insect and pests
- Working, eating, and camping in the outdoors in all weather conditions
- Willingness to follow all crew policies and participate in a safe working environment.
- Reliable transportation to report to meeting location in Duluth at the beginning of each project.
- Flexible schedule to be able to travel and camp for extended periods of time.
- Wear provided personal protective equipment.
- Able to pass criminal background check. Pass: no positive hits on the NSOPR and no history of violent offenses.
- AmeriCorps members may not engage in any Prohibited Activities as defined in the Member Service Agreement during AmeriCorps hours.
To Apply: Please email a resume or work history to email@example.com before April 7th, 2017. For more information, visit www.northernbedrockcorps.org.
- Bi-weekly living allowance
- AmeriCorps Education award after completion of program
- Student loan forbearance during service termHealth Insurance Option Available
- Room/board during work projects
- Skills training and job experience
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.