|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Historic Preservation Specialist job announcement, South Dakota State Historic Preservation Office (Pierre, SD)
Contributed By: Cindy Snow
To apply, please go to this link - http://tinyurl.com/l4mo8ck, which will bring up the announcement below. Then click on the Apply Now button.
Historic Preservation Specialist (Job ID 8087)
Location: Pierre, SD
Posted Date: 03/31/2017
Agency: Education/SD State Historical Society
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Employment Type: Permanent Employee
Salary: $19 - $20.50 per hour, depending on experience
Job ID: 8087
Agency: Department of Education; South Dakota State Historical Society
Salary: $19.00 - $20.50 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GI
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to work in a stimulating and varied work environment. A self- starter, qualified individual will be able to manage their own schedule and prioritize daily tasks. Primary responsibilities will be to review properties for eligibility to the State and National Register of Historic Places, draft nomination forms, provide oversight to architectural survey contracts, perform cultural resources database management, provide recommendations regarding preservation review and compliance laws, manage preservation financial incentive programs, and work with Certified Local Governments. There will be ample opportunity to also provide educational outreach and training to a wide variety of audiences about historic preservation laws and standards and the benefits of preservation to the state. There is additional opportunity for travel to professional development conferences and training outside the state. Duties include:
- Coordinate the historic sites survey program.
- Establish work priorities and develop work plans promoting the preservation of historic resources.
- Understand regulatory procedures for the National Park Service, other federal and state agencies.
- Write proposals to distribute funds for historic site surveys, work projects, and programs.
- Manage historic preservation grant applications and recommend projects for funding.
- Prepare and assist in the preparation of National Register nominations which meet National Park Service criteria.
- Respond to requests for information about the National Register of Historic Places program.
- Evaluate historic sites and building nominations to determine if they meet National Register requirements.
- Professionally and effectively research, prepare, and edit nominations to the National Register.
- Provide technical assistance to property owners, government officials, and others about state and federal rules and regulations.
- Maintain comprehensive collections for photographs, files, and technical data.
- Write press releases and letters.
- Manage sub-grantees and seasonal site surveyors to ensure grant and project goals are realized and funds are properly allocated.
- Provide information to the public about historic preservation.
- Maintain a data base of information about historic sites and buildings to provide a resource for research and public inquiries.
- Promote public education about the state's historic resources.
- Provide data for and assist in the preparation of the comprehensive state historic preservation plan.
- Perform other work as assigned.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENT TO BE CONSIDERED:
Incumbent must have a minimum of a Master's Degree in History Preservation, Architectural History, or a closely related field. A Bachelor's Degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History or closely related field may be considered, but must be accompanied by at least two years of full time professional experience or equivalent specialized training.
Attach curriculum vitae to application.
A valid driver license is required. Works in a typical office environment. Periodic travel is required within the state of South Dakota, and may require some overnight travel. Must be able to lift boxes weighing as much as 35 lbs.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A background of both academic and practical experience of working in the historic preservation field, especially at the state and local level.
- Knowledge of:
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) program;
- Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties;
- Federal and State Historic Preservation Laws;
- National Historic Preservation Act, Section 106 process and requirements;
- Certified Local Government (CLG) program;
- Federal historic preservation tax credits.
- conduct detailed academic research from a variety of sources for nominations and determinations of eligibility;
- work with a variety of customers from varied backgrounds and effectively communicate with a diverse demographic group, to include American Indian Tribal Historic Preservation Offices;
- provide complex historic preservation technical information to property owners, government officials, and others;
- make clear, concise, thoughtful decisions;
- work with the full suite of MS Office programs, as well as MS Access databases.
To be considered, please complete the information below. Your responses to these supplemental questions must be clear, concise, and numbered. Please describe any work or life-related experience which would indicate that you possess the knowledge, skill, or ability listed below:
- Ability to work well with others within a cohesive team atmosphere.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and professionally--both correspondence and through presentations or large public forums.
- Knowledge of computer software applications associated with cultural resources database entry.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visit http://bhr.sd.gov/workforus/workbenefits.aspx
Apply at: http://tinyurl.com/l4mo8ck
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"
Keywords: architectural historian, historic preservation, preservation specialist, preservation job, national register, CLG
Posted: April 4, 2017
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.