Preservation Craftsperson - Full Time, Mount Auburn Cemetery (Cambridge, MA)
Contributed By: Steve Brown
The Preservation Department at Mount Auburn Cemetery, a National Historic Landmark, is seeking a skilled craftsperson to assist in the preservation of a treasured and diverse collection of monuments, statuary, mausoleums, and buildings.
The Preservation Craftsperson participates in all stages of monument repair, preservation and conservation, re-setting monuments, foundation repairs and new foundation installations, and other preservation based masonry repairs, and general preservation maintenance work throughout the cemetery. Additionally, the preservation craftsperson will perform a variety of contemporary and preservation related carpentry projects.
Must possess a strong attention to detail and a strong preservation ethic, patience, and the desire to perform careful, conscientious and lasting repairs to these invaluable historic resources.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
- A minimum of one year of practical preservation experience.
- Two years of preservation training or the equivalent of preservation field work or schooling required.
- English language reading, writing and speaking skills required. Knowledge of Spanish language a plus.
- Must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools safely and effectively including but not limited to drills, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, and bench grinder.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Must be able to access all areas of the Cemetery grounds and buildings including walking up and down stairs, entering confined spaces, and navigating varied terrain.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
- This position requires performing physically strenuous work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Competitive compensation package including paid vacation, sick time, and holidays as well as medical and dental insurance and 401k.
Pay commensurate with experience.
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail resume to:
Mount Auburn Cemetery
C/O Human Resources
580 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.