Manager of Preservation Initiatives
The Preservation Society of Charleston (PSC), founded in 1920, is the oldest
community-based preservation organization in America. Our mission is to inspire the involvement of all who live in the South Carolina Lowcountry and to honor and respect the area’s architectural and cultural heritage. The PSC serves as a strong advocacy leader for citizens concerned about preserving Charleston’s distinctive
character, quality of life, and diverse neighborhoods. The Preservation Society
of Charleston is located in Charleston, SC and is a non-profit, 501(c) 3
organization that relies on membership revenue, grants, and other donations.
The PSC is seeking a full-time Manger of Preservation Initiatives (MPI) to join our Preservation Department. The MPI reports directly to the Director of Preservation and is responsible for executing department goals and assignments to advance the mission of the Preservation Society.
1. Assist Director of Preservation in the formulation and presentation of positions for matters related to architectural review, planning, and zoning
- Provide research and analysis of relevant planning documents
- Meet with property owners,neighborhood leaders, municipal staff and leaders, architects, developers, and other project professionals as needed
2. Manage Preservation Department initiatives and assist in research to support department goals
- Carolopolis/Pro Merito Awards Program
- Thomas Mayhem Pinckney Alliance
- Seven to Save
- Historical Markers
- Special projects as needed
3. Support content development of Preservation and Advocacy related communications
4. Maintain current files on advocacy issues, case studies, and best practices
5. Assistance with monitoring PSC easement properties and handling requests for alterations
Skills and Experience
· At least 2 years experience in historic preservation, city planning or a closely-related field.
· Bachelor’s degree (Historic Preservation, Planning, Urban Design), or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s Degree preferred.
· Strong knowledge of historic preservation theory and practice and current and trending preservation and urbanism issues
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Initiates actions to advance the mission of the PSC and executes all assignments in a timely and professional manner
· Ability to work cooperatively with staff and volunteers, good interpersonal skills, and a team player orientation
This position will be required to work out of the PSC main office in Charleston, SC. All qualified candidates should apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email to Jessica Cutler, Director of Operations, at email@example.com by September 29, 2017.
Keywords: Manager Preservation Urban Design Planning Zoning
Posted: August 4, 2017
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.