As the steward of nearly 29,000 acres of parkland, the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation is a recognized leader and innovator of public spaces. The Monuments division maintains more than 1,200 monuments and artworks throughout the City's parks.
- Coordinate monument conservation, field maintenance and responses to incidents of vandalism.
- Serve as liaison with the Capital Projects division and restoration contractors on monument projects.
- Prepare Art Commission submissions and schedule on-site reviews.
- Assist the Director of Art & Antiquities with fundraising and development.
- Monitor the organization of the field office and procurement of supplies and equipment.
- Maintain database of monument records and storage inventory of artifacts.
- Assist with the organization of archival materials and maintenance records.
- Issue permits to independent conservators; review their fieldwork and reports.
- Organize public events and dedication ceremonies.
- Answer public research inquiries and assist with issues related to conservation and acceptance of new monuments and artwork.
- Assist with special projects including exhibitions, publications and public forums.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must:
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree. Master's degree a plus.
- General knowledge of sculpture and conservation methods.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Valid New York State driver license.
- Note: New York City residency is required within 90 days of hire. have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
Pay Range: $43,000-50,000
How To Apply: Send resume with cover letter by 10/24/08 to: Monuments Coordinator JVN 11991 Personnel- Recruitment City of New York/Parks & Recreation, 24 West 61st Street, 2nd floor New York, NY 10023; Email: email@example.com (Include Job Vacancy Number JVN 11991 in subject line, cover letter and on resume.)
Keywords: Monuments Coordinator, New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, preservation jobs, employment
Posted: October 8, 2008
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.