The Montgomery County Historical Society (MCHS), a private non-profit organization located in Rockville, Maryland, seeks a part-time Weekend Coordinator to manage the Historical Society’s operations on Saturdays and Sundays, alternating weekends. MCHS is dedicated to encouraging the County’s residents and the public at large to discover their common heritage. To achieve this, the Society uses its historic resources to create a shared sense of place in a changing environment. The Weekend Coordinator is responsible for managing the Historical Society’s weekend visitor experience including; MCHS volunteers and the general public, Supervisor: Education/Volunteer Coordinator and/or Executive Director.
- Manage all aspects of weekend visitor services, including opening/closing the Museums and Library, and collections security
- Supervise weekend volunteer docents
- Provide guided tours of the Beall-Dawson House and the Stonestreet Museum of 19th Century Medicine
- Maintain and enforce Museum procedures and policies as necessary
- Provide customer assistance and process sales in the Museum Shop
- Assist with Society-related activities and oversee set-up, coordination, and clean-up of programs as needed
- Assist in Library when needed
- Visitor Services, museum education or museum studies experience
- One year experience working with the public
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Strength, dexterity and mobility to perform all duties (to include light lifting and stair climbing)
- Interest in local history
- Prior experience leading tours and supervising others a plus
Paid training provided by MCHS staff
About the Company/Organization:
The Montgomery County Historical Society (MCHS) is dedicated to encouraging the County’s residents and the public at large to discover their common heritage. To achieve this, the Society uses its historic resources (historic buildings, artifact and library collections, educational programs) and fosters partnerships with others to create a shared sense of place in a changing environment.
Salary or Pay Rate:
$13/Hour, paid on an hourly basis and not eligible for MCHS benefits
How To Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, and two references to Montgomery County Historical Society, attn: Weekend Coordinator Position, 111 W. Montgomery Ave., Rockville, MD 20850; firstname.lastname@example.org; FAX: 301-340-2871.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.