We have just returned from a trip around the Western States of the United States, and are excited to share the photos from many cultural and historic places. The trip began in our home city of Portland, Oregon, and we made stops in Eugene, OR; Grants Pass, OR; Ashland, OR; Yreka, CA; Weed, CA; Sacramento, CA; Las Vegas, NV; and Reno, NV. Highlights of the trip include Old Town Sacramento in Sacramento, CA and a guided tour of the Neon Museum in Las Vegas, NV. Photos of Old Town Sacramento can be found in our "Historic Photo Gallery" and we will be adding photos of the Neon Museum (courtesy of the great folks at the Neon Museum!) in the coming weeks. To view the "Historic Photo Gallery", click here.
We were blown away by the amazing collection of neon signs at "the boneyard" area of the Neon Museum, as well as the passion of the dedicated staff. Over 150 signs have been saved and collected, and guided tours can be arranged by visiting their website at www.neonmuseum.org. We highly recommend visiting the boneyard the next time you are in Las Vegas.
In other news:
New Historic Real Estate Website Launching in December:
We are excited to announce that we are putting the final touches on a new online historic real estate resource, and will be launching the new resource in the coming weeks. The new resource is a separate website that will work closely with PreservationDirectory.com's current historic real estate directory to maximize exposure for these wonderful historic homes. The new site will focus solely on historic real estate and resources for those selling historic homes and those looking to purchase historic homes.
The new website will share the database with PreservationDirectory.com, allowing the new site to tap into the vast network established over the last 10 years through PreservationDirectory.com. The new site features a professional design, easy-to-use interface, 24/7 member area for editing/tracking listings, featured property area, and much more. We will be able to provide more information about the new service in December!
Please note - all homes listed on PreservationDirectory.com when the new resource launches will be listed at no additional cost on the new website! If you would like to take advantage of this additional exposure, be sure to list on PreservationDirectory.com by early December. To List Historic Properties on PreservationDirectory.com, please click here.
Looking to Support the Efforts of PreservationDirectory.com?
We are often asked by those that use our resouces how they can support the efforts of PreservationDirectory.com. There are never any charges to use the many resources available on our website, including the database of historical societies, museums or downtown/mainstreet organizations; event and conference directory; or our collection of articles and press releases related to historic preservation.
The site is going strong and we are excited for another great year in 2009, but your support goes a long way towards helping our mission. Here are a few ways that you can support our efforts - your help is most appreciated!
Purchase Books Featured in the "Preservation Bookstore"
Looking for a great book for your research library or searching for a great present for a colleague or friend interested in historic and cultural preservation? Please consider purchasing a book listed in our "Preservation Bookstore" - we feature great books, essential for any preservationist, and the best part is that we receive a small percentage of the sale price from Powells.com. To view the Preservation Bookstore, please click here.
We have added Google AdWords to the sidebar of our website. We have worked to keep these non-intrusive - please consider clicking on the ads listed, as they go a long way towards supporting PreservationDirectory.com (and there are some great resources listed). The ads are located in the blue sidebar of our website (directly below our contact information). We encourage you to click on some of these ads each time you visit PreservationDirectory.com.
Support the paid advertisers listed on our website. We provide listings for preservation-related businesses, historic homes for sale, and historic lodging (inns, bed and breakfasts, and hotels) in different sections of the website. These paid listings provide key support to our website and we encourage you to support them.
Consider listing your preservation-related business, your historic property for sale, or your historic inn, bed and breakfast and/or hotel. For more information, please click on the link above or contact us for more information.
- Preservation Employment Service Launched:
In response to the tightening job market in the historic and cultural resource preservation fields, PreservationDirectory.com has launched a new employment email alert service and blog. After signing up for the service, interested job seekers will receive bi-weekly email notifications of recently posted jobs in preservation-related fields. Postings include internships and employment opportunities in historic preservation, cultural resource management, museum jobs, architecture, and building restoration.
To sign-up for the email alert service click here, then enter your email address and click "subscribe" (emails are never shared with any 3rd party).
- Free Preservation Resource Guide Now Available:
As part of a presentation given by Tim Cannan, President of PreservationDirectory.com, at the Architectural Heritage Center's "Old House Fair", we are pleased to announce the availability of a free comprehensive resource guide for historic and cultural resource preservation. The title of the resource guide is "Preservation Resources on the Web". The comprehensive resource guide presents primary online resources in the field of historic and cultural resource preservation, with an emphasis on resources in Portland and the State of Oregon [NOTE: The presentation does cover national resources in depth, so this will be of interest to preservationists and historic homeowners everywhere].
To request a free copy of the presentation, please contact us at email@example.com or 503-223-4939 and we will send you a free copy. We are only able to send electronic versions in pdf format, so please include your email address.
- Preservation Jobs!
Each month we will feature jobs and internships at historical societies, architecture firms, museums, etc. that have been posted to our "Preservation Blog" job directory (click on jobs below for more information). Please note, we cannot guarantee the status of each job, so please contact the listing agency for more information:
- Senior Architectural Historian, Applied EarthWorks, Inc, Hemet, California (Posted: November 19, 2008)
- Summer Conservation Internship Position Available, Denison Museum, Granville, Ohio (Posted: November 17, 2008)
- Cultural Resources Specialist, Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Colorado (Posted: November 13, 2008)
- Director, Southwest Office, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Fort Worth, Texas (Posted: November 12, 2008)
- Assistant Program Director, Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Posted: November 11, 2008)
- Curator of Collections and Exhibitions, Basque Museum & Cultural Center, Boise, Idaho (Posted: November 10, 2008)
- Architectural Historian, RK&K Engineers, Baltimore, Maryland (Posted: November 5, 2008)
- Preservation News Headlines:
We are happy to post the latest preservation and cultural resource news items to our Preservation Blog. We highlight the items of most interest to our readers on our homepage each week, as well as feature these items each month in our email newsletter:
Be Sure To Check Out Our Existing Comprehensive Resources
and Recently Added Features:
- Preservation Events & Conferences directory - always up-to-date list of upcoming preservation-related events in North America. Click here to view.
- Historic Real Estate - over 400 historic homes currently listed in North America. Click here to view.
- Revolving Fund Free Listings: In an effort to "find good homes" for endangered properties, we also are proud to provide free listings for such preservation organizations as Preservation North Carolina and The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. If your organization has a revolving fund or threatened property program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get free listings for all your applicable properties.
- Real Estate Agents specializing in historic real estate - click here to view.
- Historic Lodging - recently upgraded with many new features, the historic lodging directory currently includes over 700 historic inns, hotels and bed and breakfasts in North America.
- Certified Local Government directory - our new directory contains over 1,600 CLGs in North America (preservation commissions, landmark boards, planning departments, etc).
- Hundreds of new historical societies have been added to our already comprehensive directory (currently nearly 4,000 groups in North America are listed ). Click here to view .
- Video Library - gathering and presenting video clips for the benefit of the historic and cultural preservation community.
- Photo Galleries of historic districts, towns and structures, currently including Portland, OR; Rochester, NY; Burlington, VT; German Village Historic District in Columbus, OH; and many more. We have been traveling quite a bit this Summer, and will soon be adding photos of Salt Lake City, UT; Las Vegas, NV; Chicago, IL; Baker City, OR; Victoria, BC; and St. Augustine, FL. Click here to view .
- Site Map - not sure what you are looking for? This convenient site map provides a convenient mechanism to explore our website.
- And much more - click here to go to the PreservationDirectory.com homepage .
As always, feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us better serve our vast network of preservation professionals and those seeking information on historic house research, historical societies, museums, historic real estate, historic lodging, and preservation-related conferences and events.