PreservationDirectory.com
PreservationDirectory.com
 
home
preservation events & conferences
press releases & job postings
grants & funding sources
heritage marketing services
preservation library:
articles, regulations & policy
preservation organizations
& resources
museums & historic structures
historic real estate
› search for historic homes
› featured properties
› new homes for sale
› find an agent
› list your historic property
› join the unlimited
  property listing program
› list your agency
› testimonials
› sign up for email updates
Quick Links to
Our Listing Forms:








preservation businesses,
products & services
historic lodging:
inns, b&b's, hotels
historic tours
preservation general resources
historic photo galleries
preservation bookstore
frequently asked questions
about us
join email list
contact us
site map


member login

Featured
Property For Sale
View more information about this historic property for sale in Dayton, Ohio

Simon Kenton Inn

Dayton, OH
PreservationDirectory.com
7017 N. Alma Avenue
Portland, OR 97203
Phone: (503) 308-0500

Email Us!
foo




Atlas Preservation

Mad Dog Primer

University of Oregon



PreservationDirectory.com

Property Details: The Historic Mackenzie House     


Property Details: The Historic Mackenzie House
Go Back Print  
Property Information
The Historic Mackenzie House
615 NW 20th Avenue
Portland, OR
Find it with Google™ Maps!
Price: $2,950,000
Bedrooms: 8
Bathrooms: 5.5
Square Feet: 9,287
Lot Description/Acreage:
20000
Year Built:
1892
Architect/Builder:
McCaw & Martin
Architectural Style:
Romance Revival
(c.1880-1940)
 
Contact Information
Name: Dan Volkmer
Agency: Windermere Realty Trust
Phone: 503-781-3366 or 503-497-5158
Fax: 503-226-6227
Email: Send an email...
Website: Visit the website...
    Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR
(Click on a thumbnail below to view a larger image)
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Portland, OR
 
Property History
Built in 1892 for Dr. and Mrs. K.A.J. Mackenzie by Architects McCaw and Martin and ranks in the top 10 of architectural works of art in Portland. This highly ornate house embodies a plethora of distinguishing characteristics attributed to the high style architectural residential buildings of the last decade of the 19th century and is the most important example of the Richardsonian Romanesque residential architecture still standing in Portland. Located in the heart of the Historic Alphabet District and remains one of the surviving Grand Old Houses of the opulent 19th Avenue neighborhood that grew up in NW Portland in the 1880's and 1890's.

Dr. Kenneth Alexander James Mackenzie (1859-1920), was the son of Roderick Mackenzie, head of the Hudson’s Bay Company. Raised in Manitoba, he received his medical degree from McGill University in Toronto and Edinburgh University in Scotland, and moved to Oregon in 1882. His wife was Cora Kerr who he married in 1886.

Dr. Mackenzie was the driving force behind the founding of the then 24 acre hilltop University of Oregon Medical School, now OHSU and was head of both Portland and Oregon State Medical Associations. He lived in the home until his death in 1920.

Cora Mackenzie was accomplished as well. It is believed that she studied Fine Arts at a woman’s University in San Francisco and that much of the wood work, leather tooling, tile designs, decorative glass design and art installations are attributed to her sense of design. She raised 3 children in the house and was known to be a warm and loving hostess.
 
Property Description
Welcome to The Mackenzie House, built in 1892 for Dr. and Mrs. K.A.J. Mackenzie by Architects McCaw and Martin and ranks in the top 10 of architectural works of art in Portland. This highly ornate house embodies a plethora of distinguishing characteristics attributed to the high style architectural residential buildings of the last decade of the 19th century and is the most important example of the Richardsonian Romanesque residential architecture still standing in Portland. She is located in the heart of the Historic Alphabet District and remains one of the surviving Grand Old Houses of the opulent 19th Avenue neighborhood that grew up in NW Portland in the 1880’s and 1890’s.

The exterior demonstrates the massive strength of Tenino stone, quarried in Olympia Washington, gray-blue slate roofing material and the architectural craftsman details befitting the fierce Scottish “Baronial” nature of the Mackenzie clan. The interior reflects the intricacies of the exterior with its attention to detail down to the minutia of hand painted fireplace tiles, the abundance of golden oak carved wood, leaded and stained glass windows and hand wrought metal works and lighting fixtures.

The Mackenzie house survived like a sturdy Scottish Thistle, the ravages of the mid-twentieth century’s proclivities to “tear down”, or “re-purpose” the big old beauties of yester-year. With it’s sale, another chapter begins in the life of this magical, resilient and significant architectural treasure.

Now housing the administrative offices of William Temple, a non-profit social services agency, the floor plan of the main house remains reasonably intact including original decorations, wall coverings and woodwork in the public rooms.

The MacKenzie House serves as administrative offices, chapel, meeting place and offices for a string of good deed doers: Good Samaritan Hospital, followed by The Jesuits and now the William Temple House. All have filled this architectural wonder with positive energies, community assistance and good will.
 
Additional Notes
Abbott Hall, the addition to Mackenzie House, is a structure designed by the firm Fletcher, Finch, Farr and Associates and was constructed to house the expanding counseling and social service programs of William Temple House. It is named in memory of Fr. Abbott, who served as Executive Director from 1965-1990. Abbott Hall was designed to compliment it’s sister house and yet afford an independent function. The architecture, separated by nearly 100 years of design, incorporated the shingles of The Richardsonian/Shingle style and the fenestrations echo those of the main house. A breezeway connects the two structures and serves as the reception area for both.

Abbott Hall; 16 Offices+ Lobby+ 2 Conference Rooms/4 Half Baths/ Parking for 8 cars/ 8,960 sqft



Lot Sizes for both buildings: Lot R141216: 12,500 sqft, Lot R141217: 3,750 sqft, Lot R141218: 3,750 sqft
Last Updated: September 26, 2018
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified.


 
 

Interested in listing your historic or vintage home / property / building for sale?  PreservationDirectory.com is the premier destination for historic and cultural preservation on the internet, and as such brings in your ideal target audience (historic homeowners, building restoration professionals, historical society members, museum curators, etc). 

Click here for more information on listing your historic home for sale.

Ready to list your historic home for sale?  Click here to use our secure online submit form.

   



PreservationDirectory.com | preservation events & conferences | press releases & job postings | organizations & resources
museums & historic structures | historic real estate | preservation businesses, products & services | historic lodging
historic tours | preservation general resources | historic photo galleries | preservation bookstore | preservation library
frequently asked questions | about us | join email list | heritage marketing services | contact us | site map

© Copyright 2018 - PreservationDirectory.com | website by Stolutions