Begun in 1908, completed in 1909 and moved to this location in 1925. The house was originally built on Main Street in order to show off Klutho’s design capabilities.
Fire safety was a part of his design. The Atlas Portland Cement Company of New York made postcards of the home they used for marketing all over the country showing off the stucco walls. The Klutho house was also one of the first in Jacksonville that had fireproof asbestos roof shingles.
The house flows compared to other houses of the time that were more divided. The walls to the main sitting area do not go completely to the ceiling which aided in air flow. The front part of the residence is for living and the back side of the residence is for service. During that time, minimal money and style would have been put into a kitchen that was just considered utilitarian.
The fireplace and bookcases are original to the house. The cross tiles used in the fireplace are similar to the those used on the St. James building (where City Hall is now). The timber coffered ceilings also remain. Renovation in 1979 was able to save the original floors in the entry way. The light color wood insets were to cover the plumbing holes and create a design element.
The large glass doors facing the front were a part of the air circulation that Klutho used in his design for Florida summers. The porch off the main living area let the family sit outside but yet be somewhat private. This was another way of connecting the house with the environment.
The house does not use colored “art glass” which was common in houses of the day. The windows were strategic through out the house for light and air circulation. The impressive leaded glass Tree of Life windows going up the stairs floods both the upstairs and down stairs of the house with light.
The upstairs bathroom in front of the stairs is the original bathroom and all the fixtures and tile are original including the sit bath behind the bathroom door.
There are two wardrobe cabinets in the house. Closets would have been taxed but wardrobes would not. One wardrobe has been modified but both were original to the house. Each of the three bedrooms has 3 walls and a windows in each wall to help make the residence comfortable in summer.
The sewing room was converted to a second bathroom up stairs. Originally there was a partial wall between the upstairs landing (where the small bed is) and the sewing room, which allowed air to pass towards the back of the house comfortable even during the hot humid summers in Florida.
On December 19, 1978, the Klutho House was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.