|Legislation & Public Policy Issues in Preservation
Legislation & Public Policy Issues in Preservation
Secretary of the Interior Salazar Designates 14 New National Historic Landmarks
Contributed By: National Park Service
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today announced the designation of 14 new national historic landmarks in 11 states and the
District of Columbia that have played an integral role in the development
of the country.
“Each of these landmarks represents a chapter in the story of America, from
archeological sites dating back more than two millennia to historic train
depots, homes of famous artists, and buildings designed by some of our
greatest architects,” said Secretary Salazar. “By designating these sites
as national landmarks, we help meet the goals of President Obama’s
America’s Great Outdoors Initiative to establish a conservation ethic for
the 21st century and reconnect people, especially young people, to our
nation’s historic, cultural, and natural heritage.”
“These new listings will join approximately 2,500 other sites in the
National Historic Landmark Program,” said National Park Service Director
Jonathan B. Jarvis. “These places showcase our rich and complex history –
from prehistoric time right up to the modern era.”
The new national historic landmarks include:
· The Lightship LV-118 (Overfalls), now a museum in Lewes,
Delaware, is the last lightship constructed for and commissioned by
the U.S. Lighthouse Service.
· Congressional Cemetery in Washington, DC, and Woodlawn
Cemetery in New York City are early examples of collaborative
landscape architecture and contain some of the finest examples of
funerary art in the nation.
· Four national homes for disabled volunteer soldiers –
Western Branch in Leavenworth, Kansas; Mountain Branch in Johnson
City, Tennessee; Battle Mountain Branch in Hot Springs, South Dakota;
and Northwestern Branch in Milwaukee, Wisconsin – reflect the
development of a national system of veteran health care in the United
· The Olson House in Cushing, Maine, and the Kuerner Farm in
Delaware County, Pennsylvania, are both intimately tied to the
renowned 20th-century artist Andrew Wyeth. Wyeth spent 30 summers at
the Olson House and is buried on the grounds. The house is depicted
in many of his works including “Christina’s World,” one of the most
famous American paintings. The Kuerner Farm was the inspiration for
more than 1,000 Wyeth paintings over a 64-year period.
· Grand Mound in International Falls, Minnesota, is an
interconnected archeological landscape of mounds, seasonal villages,
and sturgeon fishing sites going back to 200 BC.
· Split Rock Light Station near Beaver Bay, Minnesota,
appears virtually the same as it did when completed in 1910. The
station greatly aided navigation in the busy and narrow shipping
lanes of Lake Superior.
· The Pennsylvania Railroad Depot and Baggage Room in
Dennison, Ohio, is the only surviving station in the country that
reflects the important role of trains and train stations in the
transportation and care of troops during World War II. During the
war, about 4,000 volunteers provided moral support and served meals
around the clock to 1.3 million soldiers in the depot’s Salvation
Army Servicemen’s Canteen.
· The Arch Street Friends Meeting House in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, was built by noted Federal period architect and author
Owen Biddle and has been in continuous use since 1805. It is also the
largest Quaker Meeting House in the country.
· The Mountain Meadows Massacre Site in Washington County,
Utah, marks the location of the September 11, 1857, massacre of 120
emigrants by militiamen associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints. The event was the apex of decades of violence,
mistrust, and fear.
Salazar also announced a name and boundary change for Medicine Wheel
National Historic Landmark in Lovell, Wyoming which was designated in 1970.
Renamed Medicine Wheel/Medicine Mountain National Historic Landmark, the
site now includes almost 4,000 addition acres of significant and intact
Native American sacred areas. The John B. Gough House in Boylston,
Massachusetts, also received a boundary clarification.
The program, established in 1935, is administered by the National Park
Service on behalf of the Secretary of the Interior. The agency works with
preservation officials and other partners interested in nominating a
landmark. Completed applications are reviewed by the National Park System
Advisory Board, which makes recommendations for designation to the
Secretary of the Interior. If selected, property ownership remains intact
but each site receives a designation letter, a plaque, and technical
Additional information on the designations can be found at www.nps.gov/nhl.
Keywords: National Historic Landmarks
Posted: July 2, 2011
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.