Pitchcraft, Downtown Frederick’s first-ever placemaking competition, invites creative people from every background, profession and city to pitch an idea that, if physically implemented in Downtown Frederick, will better connect the people and places of our community.
The concept for this competition is rooted in the idea of placemaking, which inspires people to collectively reimagine and reinvent public spaces as the heart of their community. More than just promoting better urban design, placemaking facilitates creative patterns of use, paying particular attention to the physical, cultural and social identities that define a place and support its ongoing evolution. Through Pitchcraft, the Partnership hopes to strengthen the connection between people and the places they share by sparking a collaborative process through which we can shape our public realm in order to maximize shared value.
Pitches must be received by September 21, 2018. A panel of judges will review all submissions and narrow it down to the final four, who will pitch their ideas in front of a live audience on Thursday, October 25. Every audience member will vote for their favorite pitch and a winner will be announced that evening. The cost of your ticket goes directly toward funding the winning idea.
In addition to an award of funds, the winning person will receive guidance from Downtown Frederick Partnership and volunteer advisers to help implement their idea. For more information, to submit a pitch, or to purchase an event ticket, visit downtownfrederick.org/pitchcraft.
Submitting an Idea:
Attending the Event:
- All expertise levels are encouraged to enter, from total novice to professional. Entries are due September 21, 2018.
- Ideas must thematically support the idea of CONNECTING the people and places of Downtown Frederick.
- Ideas should have a scope that can be implemented for approximately $2,500 and finished by October 2019. The finished product should be something that is safe for all ages, functions mostly unattended, exists within the footprint of Downtown Frederick (map here) and is feasible to implement. Any necessary City approvals will be requested prior to project implementation.
- Submissions will be narrowed down by a panel of judges to four finalists. All finalists will pitch their ideas in front of a live audience on Thursday, October 25. The winner will be selected by audience vote and announced that night. Download full contest rules here.
- Pitchcraft is a casual evening featuring local food and celebration. Attendees will hear four pitches for creative placemaking ideas to be implemented in Downtown Frederick and will vote on their favorite idea.
- The cost of each ticket goes toward funding the idea that receives the most votes. The winner will be announced that evening.
- Pitchcraft will be held on Thursday, October 25 from 7:00-9:00pm at 340 E Patrick St (the Union Knitting Mill building). Doors open at 6:30pm. Mingling from 7:00-7:30pm. Pitches and voting from 7:30-8:30pm.
- For parking and travel information in Downtown Frederick, visit parkfrederick.org.
Downtown Frederick Partnership works to enhance, promote and preserve the vitality and livability of Downtown Frederick, a national Main Street community.
Keywords: placemaking, urban design, public art, downtown, maryland, art contest
Posted: September 10, 2018
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.