Historic House Museum Internship, Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (Nantucket, MA)
Contributed By: Jascin N. Leonardo Finger
The Mitchell House, a historic house museum, is pleased to announce the availability of one internship for the summer of 2019. This is a unique opportunity for those interested in a hands-on experience in the daily activities and running of a historic house museum. The Mitchell House has been a museum since 1903 and is one of the first historic house museums in the United States established to honor a woman. This
internship is for those majoring in or who have a career interest in history, art
history, museum studies, historic preservation or the conservation and restoration of decorative and fine arts. The Maria Mitchell Association is a non-profit museum that includes a natural science library and archives, natural science museum, three observatories, an astronomy department, and the Mitchell House. Established in 1902, the Maria Mitchell Association honors the legacy of Maria Mitchell, America’s first woman astronomer and Professor of Astronomy and Mathematics at Vassar College. Today, the Association continues Maria Mitchell’s legacy through educational programming, its museums, and research.
· Workday of 9:30 to 4:15 Monday through Saturday and assistance with special
· Guided tours of the museum for public
· Teaching children's history classes
· Participating in conservation and cleaning projects, as well as on-going accessioning program for historic collections
· Developing and facilitating research projects
The ideal candidate will:
· Have at least two years of college experience
· Be a history or art history major or in a related field
· Have an interest or experience in working in museums, with historic collections or related fields
· Have experience working with the public and children and experience providing tours
· Have Child/Infant CPR and Basic First Aid Certifications
The internship pays $2,700.00, includes housing and runs from May 27, 2019 to August 25, 2019 with a required arrival date of May 26, 2019 for training and orientation.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and the application found on the website www.mariamitchell.org to the address listed below by March 1, 2019.
Additionally, please arrange to have three letters of recommendation and an official transcript from all colleges and universities attended sent directly to the address below by March 1, 2019. Questions may be sent to Jascin Finger
Ms. Jascin N. Leonardo Finger, Curator
Mitchell House, Maria Mitchell Association
4 Vestal Street
Nantucket, MA 02554
Keywords: historic house, internship, museum internship
Posted: November 5, 2018
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.