|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Carpenters' Company Executive Director Position, Inter-Mission, LLC (Philadelphia, PA)
Contributed By: Caroline E. Boyce
OF THE CITY AND COUNTY OF PHILADELPHIA
Founded in 1724 as a guild, The Carpenters’ Company of the City and County of Philadelphia is one of the country’s most historically significant nonprofit organizations. By preserving and interpreting Carpenters’ Hall, its unique membership of architects, engineers, and builders celebrate their preeminent role in the American story past and future; Pulitzer Prize-winning public historian David McCollough calls Carpenters’ Hall “the acorn of our nation.” The organization is seeking an Executive Director who is passionate about Carpenters’ Hall and is an energetic and strategic change leader.
The candidate will be the Company’s leading voice and champion, enhancing the organization’s identity and relationships both locally and nationally. As such, passion for American History and The Company’s place in that history is crucial. They will be able to work with the membership to develop a shared vision for the future.
The Executive Director will lead the Company’s financial and programmatic growth to meet member and community needs and to position of the Hall as a preeminent historic site, as the Company transitions from a volunteer-driven to a professionalized nonprofit with relevance in today’s world.
Among the Executive Director’s areas of responsibilities are:
· Provide leadership regarding hiring, performance management, and evaluation of 3 full time and 3 part time employees, 15 volunteers, and several consultants.
· Oversee planning, management and evaluation of all existing and new programs.
· Oversee and grow major fundraising events including the biennial golf outing and gala.
· Manage the efficient operation of historic Carpenters’ Hall as a free destination open and interpreted to the public.
· Meet the needs and interests of a diverse membership of architects, engineers, and builders.
· Foster and continue to encourage volunteerism to support the organization in day-to-day and long-term goals.
Mission and Strategy
· Support the Company’s board in developing and implementing a new strategic plan.
· Keep the board informed of financial, operational and programmatic performance, and the factors influencing them.
· Identify and cultivate relationships with funders and supporters.
· Share the mission of the organization and nurture partnerships that result in additional exposure for the Company and Carpenters’ Hall. This is particularly important in the context of the Company’s 2024 Tercentenary and the nation’s 2026 Semiquincentennial, as well as the upcoming inaugural David McCullough Prize for Excellence in American Public History.
· Manage and optimize a current budget of $600,000 and $1.5 million endowment.
· Oversee and grow fundraising opportunities and progress, leading staff and board in securing funding from foundations, corporations, and individuals.
· Develop opportunities for increasing earned revenue.
· Advanced Degree preferred in preservation, museum studies, public history, nonprofit management or related
· Nonprofit change management experience
· Strategic thinker
· Demonstrated ability to manage budgets and facilities
· Demonstrated fundraising success
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational communication skills
· Proven collaborative style
· Experience in the management of a history or museum organization
· Experience in the management of a professional membership organization
· Commitment to high ethical standards and proven track record of good judgement
· Knowledge of the design/construction community
· Professional connections in the preservation/historical/museum community
· The Executive Director reports to the board of directors (called the Managing Committee)
· Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications. The
salary range is $80,000 to $95,000 with a competitive benefit package. Compensation will be adjusted with the growth of the organization.
· Position requires occasional travel and occasional work in the evening and on weekends
· Position requires climbing stairs
The Carpenters’ Company is an EEO Employer.
Desired start date: May 2019
Submissions of interest will consist of a resume and cover letter with salary expectations.
Prospective candidates must email their resume and cover letter
to firstname.lastname@example.org. PHONE CALLS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Keywords: Carpenters' Hall, Executive Director, job
Posted: January 20, 2019
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.