|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
The Crew Member position is a 900 hour(full season) AmeriCorps service term commitment. Northern Bedrock Crew Members work alongside 4 fellow Crew Members under the direction of the Crew Leader. Crews work to preserve and repair historic structures throughout the state of Minnesota. Projects may include masonry, plaster, cemetery monument resetting and cleaning, basic carpentry, and historic landscape restoration. Work is performed primarily outdoors in all weather conditions, and all projects involve extended camping near the project site. This position involves physically challenging and team-oriented work.
Crew Members earn a bi-weekly living stipend, and can take advantage of student loan forbearance during their term of service. Upon completion of the service term, AmeriCorps members receive an education award to be used on educational expenses. All Crew Members receive training and credentials in First-Aid/CPR, OSHA, and Leave No Trace.
During and after the program Crew Members have access to an advisor network of trades professionals, trade unions, and historic preservation specialists. This position is supervised by the Northern Bedrock Historic Preservation Corps (NBHPC) Program Manager.
Stipend and Ed Award:
- Stipend of $805 every two weeks
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award-Full season $2,960
Service Terms and Hitch Schedules:
- Full Season (May 15th-October 23rd)
- Each Hitch: 8 days, 10 hours per day 8:00 AM – 6:30 PM (typical) travel included, 6 days off, with each project requiring camping for 4-8 consecutive days.
Applicants must be flexible to work 8, 10 hour days in a row, and then have 6 days off throughout their service term. Food, campsites and group camping gear are provided while working on projects. The crew is provided a corps vehicle to travel from Duluth to the worksite. All AmeriCorps members are required to take a ½ hour lunch which does not contribute to service hours.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Perform service with a “safety first” mentality
- Adhere to all NBHPC policies and proceduresLoad tools, equipment, and materials in to vehicles properly
- Responsive to instructions and feedback delivered by Crew Leaders, Staff, and project hostsParticipate in daily operations efficiently while upholding high-quality standards
- Complete historic preservation projects in cooperation with fellow corpsmembers
- Communicate to the staff and the public about the program goals and accomplishments
- Ability to live and work well with others in a team setting.
- Positive attitude and interest in service and community work.
- Desire to learn about historic preservation.
- Effective communication skills.
- Committed to completing the entire AmeriCorps service term
- 18-25 years old.
- Must be a US Citizen, US National or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US
- Able to perform the essential functions of the job 10 hours per day:
- Manual labor – heavy lifting, bending, and carrying up to 50 pounds
- Attention to detail and willing to follow standards for historic preservation
- Repetitive cleaning and restoring of historic structures and objects
- Walking/working on steep or uneven terrain
- Working outdoors, rain or shine, in heat/cold, and dealing with insect and pests
- Working, eating, and camping in the outdoors in all weather conditions
- Willingness to follow all crew policies and participate in a safe working environment.
- Reliable transportation to report to meeting location in Duluth at the beginning of each project.
- Flexible schedule to be able to travel and camp for extended periods of time.
- Wear provided personal protective equipment.
- Able to pass criminal background check. Pass: no positive hits on the NSOPW and no history of violent offenses.
- AmeriCorps members may not engage in any Prohibited Activities as defined in the Member Service Agreement during AmeriCorps hours.
HOW TO APPLY
Click HERE to complete the application on or BEFORE March 20th to be considered for the Crew Member position.
Any questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
Keywords: americorps, historic preservation, crew member, minnesota
Posted: March 14, 2019
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.