|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art is located in Sarasota, Florida. For more about the Ringling, please see the "Other Information" section.
The Archives Fellow, on a 12-month visiting A&P appointment, works under the supervision of the Chief Archivist to research, evaluate, assess, catalogue, and index the audio visual collections at The Ringling. These collections, comprised of a variety of outmoded and newer audio visual technologies, document Museum activities as well as the history of circus arts.
Responsibilities will include:
- Works closely with Archives staff to conduct research on media stability, condition evaluations of collections, and environmental assessments. Contributes to the development of management tools for various media in The Ringling Archives collection including audio recordings, still visual materials, digital format materials, and moving images. Many of the formats are no longer in common use requiring the
incumbent to research sources and methods for identification and digitization.
- Under the guidance of the Chief Archivist, reviews and identifies video source material for relevance. Works with a variety of still and moving image materials and audio recordings in the Ringling Archives collection. Examples include but are not limited to: 2 inch video tape, 1 inch video tape, ¾ inch video cassettes, ½ inch reel-to-reel video tapes, DV-cassette video tapes, and Hi-8 video tapes. Digitizes, catalogues, and makes accessible when appropriate through the museum's online public access collections catalogue, e-Museum and other technologies as necessary.
- Identifies and digitizes a variety of still visual materials including photographs and negatives, glass plate negatives, lantern slides, and 2x2 slides. Evaluates which
materials may require conservation measures prior to digitization. Assists in identifying potential conservators and makes recommendations to the Chief Archivist.
- Assists in digitizing, uploading, and data entry of archival items to The Museum System (TMS). Catalogues and indexes materials already in digital format.
- Compiles condition reports for 8mm and 16mm motion picture films in the collection. Rehouses and documents film items.
- Assists in managing descriptive, technical, administrative and preservation metadata for both accessibility and long-term preservation of digital assets and related metadata.
Bachelor's degree and 2 years' experience or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to 6 years. Relevant training may substitute for experience.
Knowledge of applicable computer applications and basic computer functions to include Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, Bridge, Premiere; Microsoft Excel and Word.
Knowledge of and ability to apply the processes, procedures and methods used in museum operations in compliance with applicable governing entities such as the American Association of Museums.
Knowledge of museum terminology.
Knowledge of collections development and cataloguing.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to work effectively with others at all levels, individually and as part of a team.
Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices of collections management to include proper handling, installation, preservation and/or maintenance.
Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
Master's in Library & Information Science, Archival Administration, Museum Studies, or related discipline and working knowledge of Capture One and Filemaker Pro.
Knowledge and/or interest in Circus Arts.
The Ringling is a preeminent center for the arts, history, performance, and learning that is dedicated to bringing the past and contemporary culture to life through extraordinary visitor experiences. From its inception, The Ringling has joined the diverse visual traditions and theatrical spectacle of yesterday with the genre-defying global practitioners of today. A place of exploration, discovery and respite, The Ringling’s campus in Sarasota, Florida—which includes the Museum of Art, Circus Museum, a historic home, an 18th-century theater and bayfront gardens—is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the State Art Museum of Florida and part of Florida State University, The Ringling fulfills an important educational mission. The Ringling offers formal and informal programs of study serving as a major resource
for students, scholars and lifelong learners of every age across the region, country, and around the world. For more information, please visit www.ringling.org.
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Salary Range
Up to $33,000 + Florida state benefits available (http://hr.fsu.edu/?page=benefits/benefits_home)
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
Soft Money Funded Position
This position is time-limited based on soft money funding, with renewal contingent upon available funds and the needs of the University.
While the primary working hours for this position are between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (with a one hour meal period) Monday through Friday, the incumbent may be required to work a flexible schedule including days, weekends, or special events.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable
information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.