Visitor Services / Volunteer Coordinator, Pleasant Home Foundation (Oak Park, IL)
Contributed By: Colette Anderson
Pleasant Home, Oak Park, IL
Visitor Services / Volunteer Coordinator
Pleasant Home’s Mission is to surprise and delight visitors through historic interpretation and restoration of Pleasant Home. Pleasant Home is an early Prairie style home designed by George W. Maher for John Farson in 1897.
General Job Description:
· The Visitor Services / Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to guests as the first point of contact.
· The Visitor Services / Volunteer Coordinator will recruit, train, schedule and
retain an active volunteer base for Pleasant Home tours and programs.
· The Visitor Services / Volunteer Coordinator will collaborate and communicate with the Executive Director and Rental Director to achieve effective daily operations of Pleasant Home.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Visitor Services Responsibilities:
· Open and close the house during regular business hours and for tour times (Thursday – Sunday 11:30 – 4:30).
· Provide guided tours and private tours when docents are not available.
· Ensure gift shop is attended during business hours, take customer payments, and maintain organization/presentation of gift shop.
· Maintain gift shop merchandise, inventory, and budget.
· Develop and maintain relationships with community volunteer organizations.
· Provide ongoing support, research and guidance for volunteers.
· Maintain volunteer time-keeping system and Google drive database for volunteer information and docent/volunteer calendar.
· Provide reports to the Executive Director for purchasing and volunteer/visitor data.
· Coordinate with the Rental Director for programs and events.
· Promote Pleasant Home events and opportunities on social media (Facebook, Instagram).
· Work as a team with the Executive Director and Rental Director to meet strategic plan goals and maintain the mission of Pleasant Home.
Education and Experience
Possess a Bachelor's Degree in a field commensurate with the job
Have job-related experience, such as working in a museum and/or
managing volunteer programs.
Knowledge of management principles and evaluation techniques
related to programs that involve volunteers.
• Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word
processing and spreadsheets
• Record keeping, organization and planning skills
• Ability to multitask in a busy environment with consistent
interruptions in work while maintaining excellent customer service
• Experience (or ability to learn) with Google Drive, Square Inc.,
Microsoft programs, etc.
Able to walk around park grounds, climb stairs,
and lead tours at a reasonable pace
Ability to lift and stack chairs, move 6’ folding tables, and other
objects and furniture
• Enthusiastic, energetic personality to attract and maintain
• Capability to conduct oneself in a professional demeanor when
dealing with the public and coworkers
• Ability to work well with a diverse group of volunteers
• Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job
• 25-30 hours/week, part-time employment, no benefits
• Hours must include Thursday – Sunday 11:30 – 4:30
• Must be available for special events on occasion
$15/hour starting pay
Please send letter of interest and resume to Colette Anderson, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: visitor services, volunteer, house museum
Posted: September 4, 2019
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.