The Tacoma City Council is looking for applicants to fill the following positions on the Landmarks Preservation Commission:
• Architect (One Position): Open to an individual who is currently or has been in the past a professionally certified architect.
• Professional (Two Positions): Open to individuals who have had professional experience or training related to historic preservation originating from employment
or study within the following disciplines: Arts or art history, architecture, history, architectural history, planning, prehistoric and/or historic archeology, conservation, construction or building trade, landscape architecture, urban planning or design, structural engineering, land use or real estate law, real estate, appraisal or real estate finance, project management or contracting, or related discipline.
• At-Large (One Position): Open to an individual with a demonstrated interest in historic preservation who is a resident of Tacoma.
• Non-voting Wedge Neighborhood Ex Officio (One Position): Open to a resident, property owner, or business owner within Tacoma's Wedge Neighborhood
• Non-voting North Slope Ex Officio (One Position): Open to a resident, property owner, or business owner within Tacoma's North Slope Historic District.
The Landmarks Preservation Commission consists of 11 volunteer members who are appointed by the Infrastructure, Planning, and Sustainability Committee and confirmed by the City Council to serve three-year terms. Membership is composed of three architects, four individuals with professional expertise in preservation related fields, and four interested residents.
Non-voting ex officio members may be appointed to four-year terms to represent residents, property owners, and business owners within Tacoma's historic districts. The Commission oversees the establishment and regulation of landmarks, local historic districts, proposed name changes for public facilities, and certain property tax incentives.
Applications must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office by Tuesday, October 22, 2019. To apply, please visit cityoftacoma.org/cbcapplication or contact Michelle Emery at (253) 591-5178, firstname.lastname@example.org; or the City Clerk’s Office, located at 733 Market St., Rm. 11, Tacoma, WA 98402.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.