|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Roanoke Island, NC
Outer Banks Conservationists (OBC), a private 501(c)3 non-profit organization, is
seeking a Site Manager for Island Farm on Roanoke Island in Manteo, North
Carolina. Founded in 1980, OBC owns and operates Island Farm, a living history
farmstead with interpretive outbuildings, working agricultural land, and pastured
livestock. The site is centered around an original, pre-Civil War homestead estimated to be constructed in the mid-1850s. OBC also owns and operates the Currituck Beach Lighthouse site in historic Corolla Village.
The Site Manager is responsible for the successful overall operation of the Island
Farm site. Island Farm’s Site Manager will be multi-talented, highly motivated, and a self-starter. This position is a key member of OBC’s management team.
Salary range is $36,000 to $40,000 and is commensurate with experience. On-site
housing is a condition of employment. Reporting to the Site Manager are two full-time employees and three to five part-time
Key functions of this position include (but are not limited to):
• Programming & Education. Develop and execute a nearly year-round
calendar of programs, activities and initiatives at Island Farm from idea
development through evaluation. Improve upon existing programs while
creating new ones that increase public engagement with existing infrastructure
and site resources. Consistent networking with local community groups,
schools, as well as state and government agencies is essential. Ensure all visitors
are provided a unique, meaningful, memorable and pleasant experience.
• Living History. Draw on previous experiences with other living history sites
or farming operations. Possess a strong interest in creating an environment at
Island Farm that excels in three main areas: living history interpretation,
agriculture practice, and livestock’s role in island life. Desire to develop and
implement extensive future programming to include significant focus on
maritime practices, trade, and history of the Outer Banks. Focus on
incorporating the Farm with the local community is paramount.
• Event Production. Innovate to create new events across many disciplines,
relying on assistance of other Farm staff.
• Staff & Operations Management. Possess excellent oral and written
communication skills and proficiency with common office technology. Excel in
staff management. Listen well, and possess the ability to teach and be taught by
staff. Inspire and engage staff members to appropriately interpret the mission
of OBC, as well as the history and significance of Island Farm to the public.
Ensure staff have the resources they need to succeed. A desire to maintain and
grow volunteer involvement is critical.
• Budget Management. Work with the Executive Director to draft the annual
budget. Monitor the site’s expenses and income throughout the year ensuring
adherence to the budget.
• Vision & Value. Promote the inherent value of experiencing and learning
history, as well as the importance of historic Outer Banks life and traditions.
Strive for excellence in every task. Respect and admiration of the history of
coastal N.C., Outer Banks Conservationists, as well as the yearning to execute
new ideas is a must. Willingness to work with a diverse community is essential.
Qualifications/Preferred Skills/Work Environment
• Preferred prior experience in management, communications, education,
museums, living history, agriculture, visitor services, or a related field.
• General to considerable knowledge of North Carolina history and interpretive
practice (or an eagerness to learn).
• Working knowledge of livestock care. Experience with draft and dairy animals,
or with oxen specifically, is a plus.
• General to considerable knowledge of agricultural practices, or an eagerness to
• Great communication skills in oral and written form, including the ability to
absorb factual information and effectively communicate and present it, as well
as the ability to respond to questions from the general public in a clear and
• Ability to solve practical problems and to work both independently and on a
team to carry out assigned duties with minimum supervision.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare routine reports.
• Strong work ethic.
• Strength to stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop, or twist for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Work will be performed both indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions
with frequent exposure to heat, cold, dust, dirt, pollen, water, fire, smoke, and
• This is a full-time, exempt position; hours worked per week may vary,
dependent upon the time needed to complete required or assigned work.
Additional, night and weekend work may be required for special events or
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Position closes on January 1, 2020.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.