|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Work with the VP of Finance/Controller to take the lead in the preparation of the Financial Statements and Tax returns. Work with the Accounting Manager to perform the month-end closing of the books. Work with the VP of Finance/Controller and Director of Budgeting & Investment Support to assist with Endowment Accounting. Provide overall strategic assistance as necessary to VP of Finance/Controller and Finance Staff to analyze and solve problems and complete essential tasks. (Title is currently a working title that will be finalized upon hiring).
Financial Statements and Audit
- Lead and assist in the preparation of various financial statements and reports including related footnotes and backup schedules and documents. This includes the National Trust’s audited Consolidated Financial Statements and the statements for the Pension and 403b Plans. It also includes obtaining schedules from other staff members, and coordinating and maintaining a master template that supports how all the amounts were determined.
- Prepare various schedules for the annual audit along with other general ledger analysis and schedules as requested and work closely with the independent auditors.
- Prepare miscellaneous reports, including census reports.
Tax Returns and Tax
- Lead and assist in preparation of the annual Federal 990 and 990-T Tax Returns. Take ownership for preparation of schedules, obtaining schedules from other staff members, and coordinating and maintaining a master template that supports how all the amounts were determined.
- Obtain the K-1’s from the investment managers and provide to independent tax accountants to support the preparation of the state tax returns.
- File sales and use tax returns in about a dozen states and all miscellaneous tax returns including annual corporate and franchise tax returns in applicable states country-wide, real and personal property tax returns, and sales tax exemption applications and keep all exemptions up to date.
- Act as a point of contact for all tax-related matters for the organization
- Work with Accounting Manager to ensure successful, timely and efficient month-end close including reviewing and posting journal entries for historic sites and other program areas.
- Reconcile Pledge Receivable Account and Restricted Cash Account for month end close, and reconcile various other balance sheet accounts after month end close.
- Prepare monthly recurring JEs.
- Reconcile CRM records to Accounting System balances.
- Assist Accounting Manager with streamlining and improving the bank reconciliation process.
- Serve as the liaison with program managers to resolve financial issues, improve procedures and processes in a timely, accurate and effective manner. Cross Train to learn month-end closing process.
Investment and Endowment Accounting
- Prepare the monthly investment rollforward and track investment manager statements and prepare the reporting and analysis necessary to support annual audits performed by an outsourced resource. The investment/endowment portfolio is approximately $250 million with approximately 40 investment managers.
- Track, obtain statements, complete analysis, and record journal entries to properly reflect balances in the general ledger for all split interest arrangements (ie., CGA, PIFs, CRUTSs, Unitrusts, etc).
- Provide accounting services to the Trust’s subsidiaries (Greenrock and Cooper-Molera Preservation LLC) including obtaining and reviewing quarterly financial results, audit support, and review of 1120 & 1065/Schedule K-1 tax returns for the subsidiaries.
- Prepare monthly inter-company schedules and resolve related inter-company issues with them.
- Work with VP of Finance/Controller to prepare monthly cash analysis and forecast reports
- Work with VP of Finance/Controller to ensure financial reporting is in compliance with all GAAP requirements and assist VP/Controller with implementation of new GAAP pronouncements, including ASC 606 and ASU 2018-08.
- Work on other special projects as assigned by the VP of Finance/Controller, including financial tasks, Board and Board Committee support, and budget & forecast work for the department.
- Lead or assist with special projects and strategic initiatives as they arise, such as:
- Assisting with the Fundriver Software implementation for endowment accounting
- Assisting with the transition from Concur Expense Reimbursement Software to the new accounting software (Unit4) and assisting with the implementation of the bank reconciliation functionality in the new accounting software.
- At least 12 years of professional level experience in the accounting field, including experience managing large or complex accounting projects and analyses in a nonprofit setting, with substantive experience in maintaining general ledgers and financial statements.
- Experience in endowment and investment accounting preferred. Experience in a large, national level, matrixed, and geographically dispersed organization preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience managing large, cross-functional projects.
- At least 2 years of experience managing key functional areas such as tax preparation, audit support and/or endowment accounting.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Advanced project management, team management and client management skills. Ability to achieve results with limited supervision.
- Experience supervising professional staff, as well as successfully managing key internal stakeholders and relationships.
- Proven ability to collaborate across divisions to implement processes and achieve results. Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion. Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment required, including working effectively with frequent interruptions and handling changing and/or unscheduled tasks with accuracy. Public contact and ability to work successfully in close proximity to others required.
- Proven ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Effective presentation skills.
- Demonstrated success in working with and engaging culturally diverse audiences, partners and staff.
- Advanced knowledge of MS office, including advanced use of Excel for accounting. Experience with various accounting software packages preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance (or equivalent years of experience) required. Master’s degree or equivalent experience required. CPA strongly preferred.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.