Architectural Historian, Quality Services, Inc. (Rapid City, SD)
Contributed By: Elena Houk
Quality Services, Inc., Rapid City, South Dakota, is seeking a Secretary of the
Interior standards qualified principal investigator Architectural Historian. The position involves historic structures survey, National Register of Historic Places and analysis, directing field surveys and research tasks, writing Section 106 reports including
determinations of eligibility and effects, historic context studies, Memoranda
of Agreement, and HABS/HAER documentation. Applicants may be required to walk in rough terrain, carry up to 40 lbs., and deal with variable and inclement weather
conditions, be able to sit, stoop, bend, and climb, and to use hand tools,
shovels and screening and other field equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in architectural history, history, historic preservation, American studies, or a related discipline.
- One to three years of experience in architectural history and historic preservation.
- Knowledge of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and the necessary regulatory steps as it applies to historic properties
- Ability to direct/conduct architectural history field surveys and focused architectural research
- Master’s degree in architectural history, history, historic preservation, American studies, or related discipline
- Ability to interact with project managers, clients, and review agencies in a professional consulting environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and professionally with limited oversight
- HABS/HAER experience
- Experience in preparation of National Register of Historic Places structure nominations
- SHPO review experience
- Strong technical writing and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated, positive, energetic, with ability to work and participate on a team or individually in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local historic preservation regulations
How to Apply
Please submit your resume/vita, writing samples, and references to email@example.com
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.