Job Opening: Director of Preservation, Preservation Society of Asheville and Buncombe County (Asheville and Buncombe Counties, NC)
Contributed By: Jessie Landl
PSABC works to preserve and promote the unique historic resources of our region through the use of preservation easements, grants and education programming. Currently we are in the process of developing a revolving fund to expand our ability to preserve critically endangered properties.
· Preservation easement monitoring, approvals and enforcement for an ever growing list of approximately 30 properties
· Providing technical support for owners of historic properties
· Community outreach and education including speaking engagements, community events, press releases and interviews, and development and implementation of education programming
· Project management for stabilization, rehabilitation and restoration projects
· Advocacy for endangered properties and neighborhoods
Additionally, as a part of a small staff, this position will require participation in a variety of activities outside of the job description, such as fundraising, events, communications and administrative tasks.
Qualifications and Skills
· Passion for preservation and the benefits it provides to a community
· Undergraduate or advanced degree in preservation related field or commensurate professional experience
· Understanding of the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
· Understanding of a wide range of historic preservation practices and approaches, construction technology, historic materials and design, understanding of preservation policy and regulation, and architectural research and documentation
· Understanding of the threat posed to historic properties and neighborhoods by development, neglect, climate change, etc.
· Outstanding interpersonal, analytical, and communications skills
· Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail
· Ability to work independently and in team settings
· Willingness to work evenings and weekends, as required
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Salary range is $40,000 to $50,000 dependent on experience and qualifications. Paid time off, holiday pay and optional retirement benefits included.
Posted: September 4, 2020
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.