The Landmark Society of Western New York seeks a creative and qualified candidate to manage its community outreach and digital media. The Preservation Outreach
Coordinator will be responsible for assessing, planning, and executing the organization’s social media presence. Additional digital media responsibilities will include producing
The Landmark Society’s semi-weekly e-newsletter and updating website content.
The Preservation Outreach Coordinator will also work with the Preservation Planner and Director of Preservation on all aspects of The Landmark Society’s fee for service
program. The position will be responsible for soliciting new fee for service projects (e.g. National Register nominations and historic resource surveys), preparing proposals for these projects, and will assist the Preservation Planner in completing fee for service work as needed.
• Manage and enhance Landmark Society’s social media presence.
• Manage Landmark Society website and e-newsletter.
• Solicit and field inquiries for new fee for service projects.
• Assist with historic resource surveys and National Register nominations.
• Work with Preservation staff to develop outreach strategies and to reach new
audiences for new programs like Old House Help and the Genesee Valley Rural
Revitalization (GVRR) grant program.
Additional responsibilities may include: photography for use in social media and
website; drafting content for Landmarks quarterly print magazine; layout for Landmarks magazine; assisting with other Preservation Division programming such as the LGBTQ Landmarks Initiative, Five to Revive, Preservation Grant Fund, and Genesee Valley Rural Revitalization grant fund; assisting with Landmark Society special events; participating in Landmark committees; and providing testimony at public hearings.
• Historic preservation experience or degree in a related field.
• Experience completing historic resource surveys and National Register
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Significant experience managing social media accounts, including Facebook,
Twitter, and Instagram.
- Proficiency in digital photography, including an understanding of photographic
composition and ability to capture professional, appealing images using a smart
phone and digital camera.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
• Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe InDesign or ability to
• Ability to use NY SHPO’s mobile survey application, CRIS Trekker, on a tablet.
• Valid driver’s license.
Though not required, an ideal candidate will also possess the following qualifications:
• Experience with photo editing and graphic design software such as Adobe
Photoshop and InDesign.
• Excellent photography skills
• Graphic design experience
• Video editing experience
Candidate should have the demonstrated ability to effectively manage and prioritize
multiple projects. Candidate should be prepared to work in urban, suburban, and rural communities.
Salary and Benefits
Hiring range $40,000-44,000, depending on experience.
Generous health insurance and retirement benefits included.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume by February 23, 2021 to:
Executive Director, The Landmark Society
Posted: February 16, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.