|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Memorial House Manager (6 Month Contract), Preservation Utah (Salt Lake City, UT)
Contributed By: Kelsey Maas
Preservation Utah seeks qualified applicants for the staff position of Memorial House Manager to oversee event sales, marketing, operation, management, vendor relationships, and historic stewardship at Memorial House in Memory Grove Park. This is a 6-month contract. It may or may not be available to extend after 6 months.
Position: Memorial House Manager
Opening: To be filled immediately
Deadline: Open until filled
Employer: Preservation Utah
Location: Salt Lake City
Status: Full time, exempt
Contract: 6 Month fixed contract
Salary: Base salary ($39,000-$41,000) plus sales commission
Benefits: Medical; Dental; Matching SIMPLE IRA retirement; Paid
holidays; Annual leave; Sick leave
Preservation Utah is a small nonprofit organization based in Salt Lake City, Utah. Established in 1966, we were the first statewide historic preservation organization in the western United States. Preservation Utah's mission is to keep the past alive, not only for preservation, but to inspire and provoke a more creative present and sustainable future.
As a small staff, we are highly collaborative and value creativity, engagement, and flexibility. We are looking for someone who is thoughtful and careful about managing an event space around COVID, and who is innovative in rethinking how such a space can exist in COVID-normal times. Remote work is encouraged, but some on site management will be required.
Preservation Utah is a historic preservation organization that values economic and environmental sustainability; tolerance of all people regardless of race, creed, culture, identity or sexual preference; integrity and quality of the work we do; and advocating for the built environment and heritage of all Utahns.
Memorial House has been a gathering place for weddings, receptions and parties since the 1920s. Located in Memory Grove Park at the base of City Creek Canyon, the historic space offers a unique space to host an event.
Within the 6-month time frame, this position will be responsible for the creation and implementation of a business plan for Memorial House. This plan would include
administrative, advertising and brand development, market research, management, event, and fee structure. This business plan will be implemented in
anticipation of reopening Memorial House. It must be mindful of operating during COVID-normal times and beyond.
Applicants must be professional, energetic, organized, and self-motivated with the ability to manage a budget and event staff. At the same time, applicants must demonstrate a strong track record of developing client relationships and providing high-quality customer service. Applicants must be able to continuously implement new marketing ideas and advertise to a diverse audience.
Applicants are preferred to have a background in strategic planning (ideally within hospitality/event management), business, and advertising. Additionally, applicants must have basic computer skills and ideally some supervisory experience. Strategic social media management is important in this job. Weekend and evening work is required, but a flexible schedule is allowed. The successful candidate will report to Preservation Utah’s Executive Director.
- Immediate COVID-normal planning
- Create a strategic 5-year plan for Memorial House
- Update and improve training documents
- Creatively maintain social media accounts for Memorial House. Look for innovative ways to promote the space and brand and to diversify the clientele
- Quickly respond to inquiries via social media channels
- Develop and maintain preferred vendor relationships
- Attend and network at relevant events such as trade shows, Chamber of Commerce and Visit Salt Lake functions, etc.
- Expand corporate and organizational clientele
- Work with the executive director to establish monthly, quarterly, and annual sales goals
- Create event proposals and contracts
- Book client events
- Regularly compile and report Memorial House metrics
General Management / Staff Role
- Recruit, hire, train, manage, and schedule part-time event staff
- Regularly book & oversee events
- Create and maintain event policies that are consistent with Preservation Utah’s mission, standards and public safety, health and welfare, and the highest level of customer service
- Oversee day-to-day business and operations
- Regularly supervise Memorial House hosts during events to ensure customer service goals are met if not exceeded
- Engage regularly with Preservation Utah committees and the Board of Trustees
- Regularly collaborate with Preservation Utah staff and report on Memorial House considerations
- Coordinate building and park maintenance with Salt Lake City Corp. and other entities as needed
- Maintain and enhance relationships with police, fire, parks, other governmental agencies, and Friends of Memory Grove Foundation
- Fulfill historic building stewardship role through maintaining and enhancing physical facilities
- Assume responsibility for building and grounds maintenance
- Decorate Memorial House for seasonal events
- Perform other duties as assigned by Preservation Utah’s Executive Director
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. If applicable, applicants are invited to submit a small portfolio of previous work (i.e. Social Media campaigns, Business or Management plans, etc.). Position open until filled. Ideal start date is April - May. Applications and inquiries should be directed to David Amott, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Full description can be found online here.
Keywords: historic preservation, business, event management, strategic planning
Posted: March 10, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.