The Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) is seeking a dedicated and resourceful individual to take the initial steps in planning our Historic Building Trades
Apprenticeship Program (HBTAP). This will be a full-time position with benefits
for a period of one year. The proposed start date is on or about June 1, 2021.
Rhode Island is currently experiencing an elevated youth unemployment rate and a shortage of workers skilled in the historic trades. NRF’s collection of houses and knowledgeable Preservation Crew make it uniquely qualified to help address these issues, but we recognize that mounting a program of this nature is a significant undertaking. Many questions remain unanswered regarding the nature of the
curriculum, the most constructive way to train participants, and the most
effective method for recruiting students.
With this in mind, we are looking for someone with a passion for historic preservation to initiate the process of planning this program. Among other responsibilities, the employee will examine other programs around the country, establish a framework and begin to work out the details of the program, initiate contacts with various partners, and develop a strategy for sustainability. Essentially, we anticipate that the employee will produce a three-year nonprofit business plan for the HBTAP.
This position will work out of NRF’s headquarters at 51 Touro Street in Newport and collaborate closely with the Executive Director and Director of Preservation. Remote working will be considered, with the understanding that occasional site visits will be required.
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
· Project Management or Business/Nonprofit Planning experience
· An appreciation for the nature of nonprofit work and the demands in general of working for a nonprofit organization
· Working knowledge of the historic preservation field, traditional building trades, and/or construction
· Experience in the field of teaching or education, especially with regard to curriculum design and development
Applications to include:
· CV and/or Resume
· A cover letter setting forth the reasons why you would be the ideal person to undertake this challenge
· A writing sample of at least two pages
Salary: $50,000 annually
Interviewing will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the position and all applications should be directed to Maeve Sheehan, NRF’s Human Resources Administrator at email@example.com.
NRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
March 15, 2021
Keywords: trades apprenticeship historic
Posted: March 16, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.