Approximate start date: June 1st 2021
Approximate end date: August 31, 2021
Pay/hours: $17/hr. Interns will work 40 hours per week, Mon/Fri between the start and end dates.
As a Preservation Intern you will gain:
Valuable hands-on experience working with Mount Auburn’s preservation staff
repairing monuments and headstones using a combination of traditional and
modern methods and materials. Projects include repointing of various buildings
and structures, adhesive repairs of broken marble, slate, sandstone and granite
monuments and the repair and resetting of loose or leaning headstones. Learn to
properly mix, lay-up and cure a variety of mortar mixes formulated for use with
different types of stone as well as the proper preparation and execution of
high quality patches using a range of patching materials. Learn cleaning
methods for a variety of stone types utilizing detergents, steam and chemicals.
detergents, steam and chemicals.
- A strong preservation ethic, patience, and the desire to perform careful, conscientious and lasting repairs to these invaluable historic resources.
- Prior hands-on preservation experience is preferred.
- Must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools safely and effectively including but not limited to various drills, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, and bench grinder
- Basic computer skills required and the ability to use a mouse and/or standard keyboard and computer equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
- Ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop, crouch, stand and/or reach overhead for long periods of time.
- Employee must be able to perform physically strenuous work, including heavy lifting, outdoors throughout the summer in all weather conditions.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Keywords: Internship, Boston, Masonry
Posted: March 23, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.