|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Senior Architectural Historian Position Posting, Integrated Environmental Solutions, LLC (McKinney, TX)
Contributed By: Integrated Environmental Solutions, LLC
Email The Author: email@example.com
Integrated Environmental Solutions, LLC is a small woman-owned business that specializes in providing natural and cultural resource planning services, ecological
restoration and revegetation, and NEPA documentation. Over the last several years, the cultural resources department of IES has experienced significant growth and is looking to further strengthen our built environment capabilities by hiring a candidate with a background in architectural history or historic preservation, who will serve as our Senior Architectural Historian.
As the Cultural Resources Director at IES, I wanted to take a moment to describe
our needs and why we are excited to add a full-time Senior Architectural
Historian to our team. When I came to IES in 2012, I was given the reigns to mold the cultural resources department into a self-sustaining entity within the company. Since that time, our cultural resources team has grown from 1 to 9 permanent staff members and contributed to the need for an expansion from 1 to 3 offices in North-Central Texas, which are in McKinney, Denton, and Waco. I am now looking to find someone who can take the opportunities and guidance provided to carry the torch forward and help bring our company into our next phase in our evolution.
The majority of our projects transpire across Texas and Oklahoma and the complexity of work is ever increasing. Our typical compliance-based projects involve identification, documentation, and evaluation of aboveground architectural resources for Section 106 compliance. More elaborate Section 106 projects have included trails within NRHP eligible or listed districts, relocation of NRHP eligible properties, evaluation of adverse effect to eligible or listed buildings, rehabilitation of a Registered Texas Historic Landmark, and drafting Memorandum of Agreements. Mitigation associated within these projects has included interpretive signage, historic context studies, and HABS documentation. For historic preservation, we have developed a preservation focused website, expanded our social media presence, completed a Texas Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program Application, and made the first steps in developing points of contact in surrounding communities that we will nurture into long-lasting preservation focused relationships.
In 2020, we had a position opening, but due to the global pandemic we decided to temporally suspend any hiring for this position. During this time, our architectural
resources workload continued to increase and is the catalyst for our current hiring search. Overall, IES is in our infancy of developing an architectural resource and preservation-based department. For these reasons, the applicants we are searching for are ones who can not only do the standard inventory and evaluation of resources, write technical reports, and acquire project approvals, but also has the ambition, motivation, drive, passion, and desire to be a leader that will help expand our company in both the compliance-based and preservation planning worlds. While we have existing systems, resources, and goals to help serve as a foundation for the selected applicant, we are also excited to listen and learn from the selected applicant and incorporate their ideas, practices, and experiences to further solidify the tailored project approach that IES is known for.
To find out more, please visit our website at www.intenvsol.com or find us on
social media: @IntegratedEnvironmentalSolutions on Facebook, @i.e.solutions on
Instagram, or Integrated Environmental Solutions, LLC on LinkedIn.
- hold a Masters Degree in architectural history or historic preservation
- meet the Secretary of Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Architectural History and/or Historic Architecture
- meet TxDOT precertification requirements for both Historical Research (2.15.1) and Historical Survey and Documentation (2.15.2) of Historic Buildings, Structures, Landscapes, and Objects
- have a valid driver’s license
- have a minimum of 5 years’ consulting experience with supervisory roles
- self-motivated with proven experience working independently with little supervision
- possess strong verbal communication skills
- working knowledge of digital photography
- proven ability to create budgets, manage personnel, and manage a project from start to finish
- working knowledge of ArcGIS
- thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office suite
- have extensive experience conducting research, completing fieldwork, preparing technical reports, and managing projects
- proven experience working independently with little supervision
- ability to develop field methodologies that utilize standards and procedures for obtain Section 106 approvals
- excellent understanding of cultural resources regulations and NRHP eligibility requirements
- proven ability to simultaneously complete multiple tasks at a rapid pace
- have a minimum of 8 years’ experience
- ability to prepare applications for state and federal Historic Preservation Tax Credit Programs and receiving agency approvals
- meets TxDOT precertification requirements for 2.7.2 4(f) evaluations
- proven experience working with community stakeholders and developing client relations
The duties of this position require approximately 25 percent fieldwork and 75
percent office related tasks. Applicants not meeting the minimum requirements listed within this posting will be immediately disqualified for interview. The selected applicant will be required to work from the IES offices in McKinney, Denton, or Waco, Texas.
This posting is for an hourly based, full-time position with benefits that include group medical and dental health care coverage, accrued personal time off, and participation in a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer match.
Compensation for this position will be provided on an hourly basis. The salary and benefits package offered by IES for this position range in value between $70,000 to $85,000 per annum in 2021 value and does not include overtime.
The specific salary amount will be based on the applicant’s qualifications and experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume that includes a minimum of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. As the position will require in depth analysis and technical writing abilities, applicants will be required to submit writing samples. IES is a drug free workplace. The selected applicant will be required to take a pre-employment DOT 5 drug screening.
Keywords: Senior Architectural Historian
Posted: April 29, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.