TerraXplorations, Inc. (TerraX) is a Cultural Resources Management firm specializing in public and private-sector archaeology and architectural history. Since 2012, we’ve combined the latest mapping and research tools with digging holes and knocking on doors to unearth our collective history and guide its future. Throughout the 400+ projects we annually complete, TerraX focuses on balancing development with documenting and preserving cultural resources for generations to come. We are seeking an Architectural Historian to remotely work 20-30hrs/week evaluating projects for compliance with relevant regulations, specifically NHPA Section 106. The ideal candidate will have prior experience completing compliance review projects, including initial research, fieldwork, and writing the effects assessment report. Travel to project sites may be needed if they are within a reasonable distance from the Historian’s location, however it is not required. Our top priority is that the Historian has strong writing and evaluation skills, rather than where they are located.
- Plan and execute evaluation of historic resources from initial project phases to completion
- Communicate with remote colleagues across disciplines to ensure each step of the evaluation is executed thoroughly and on-time
- Communicate professionally with clients, state historic preservation office personnel, state department of transportation personnel, etc.
- Work remotely under limited supervision
- Track and submit incurred expenses
- 1+ years experience evaluating resources through the Section 106 review process
- Experience evaluating resources for NRHP eligibility
- Experience planning and executing architectural surveys
- Experience utilizing a variety of primary and secondary sources to research historic resources and develop contextual narratives
- Thorough knowledge of American architectural history
- Fluency in architectural terminology and the Secretary of the Interior standards
- Ability to constructively receive feedback regarding evaluations and determinations of project effects
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
- Master’s degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, or a related field
The Architectural Historian position is part-time and paid hourly ($19-$21 per hour). Compensation will be commensurate with experience. To apply, send your resume, professional references, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Architectural Historian Job Opening.” The job will be opened until filled.
- Self-motivated and able to prioritize projects with minimal supervision
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work remotely and travel regionally, as needed (likely no more than once per month but occasionally more often)
- Reliable computer with internet access
- Availability up to 30 hours per week, sometimes more on an as-needed basis
Keywords: Architectural Historian, Architectural History, Remote, Part Time
Posted: June 4, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.