City Planning Intern
The City of Albany’s Department of Planning and Development is an interdisciplinary office of professionals that apply progressive urban planning practices to manage and promote adaptive land use, and guide sustainable growth in our community. The Department is seeking interns to assist Planners in project management, public outreach, field work, archiving, and other various tasks in support of the administration of the Historic Resources Commission (HRC), Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) and Planning Board (PB).
This internship offers experience in a variety of city planning tasks and provides individuals an opportunity to become familiar with local government. Responsibilities include:
- Assist Planners with project management tasks including, the scheduling and staffing of Project Advisory Committee meetings, public outreach events, and other meetings as needed
- Attend project meetings and provide accurate meeting minutes
- Update project websites
- Staff public outreach events, in person or virtually
- Accurately complete NYS grant reporting documentation
- Perform zoning and land use research, provide analysis and findings
- Current students or recent graduates of an accredited Master’s Degree program related to Urban and/or Regional Planning
- Interest or experience in urban planning project management
- Ability to work professionally with a wide variety of project stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in customer service or other public facing roles
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong research, data analysis, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to work independently under general supervision
- High level of cultural competency
This internship will begin in late June or early July and conclude in September with the possibility of an extension. Successful applicants are expected to complete a minimum of 20 hours per week and will receive a stipend of $500 per month. The position is located at the Planning Office, at 200 Henry Johnson Boulevard.
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter in PDF format by 5 PM on Friday, June 18th to Yasmine Robinson, Deputy Director of Planning & Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted: June 4, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.