History Nebraska is seeking an organized and self-motivated preservationist to serve as the agency’s Survey Coordinator. As a member of the Historic Preservation team, this position is accountable for organizing historic resource surveys and managing the contractors who are hired to do the work. The position also maintains the NeSHPO’s data by assigning site numbers, updating surveys, and maintaining data consistency.
History Nebraska is a statewide educational institution that connects people to the past through our library and research center, conservation facility, interpretive sites, and the state archeology and historic preservation offices. History Nebraska’s objective is to become the most engaging and relevant state historical society in the nation.
Our four core values are:
• We do it Better Every Time. We are always looking to improve. When we fail, we know why and learn from it.
• We Have Each Other’s Back. We work in groups; we candidly support one another for the betterment of the organization.
• We Own It. If we say we are going to do something, we do our best to get it done.
• We Are Curious. We never stop learning and we encourage curiosity in others.
• Plans and implements historic resource surveys in our state, usually by coordinating the work of contractors hired to perform the survey, but potentially in person for smaller areas of study.
• Maintains the office’s data in an Access database or Excel spreadsheet, by uploading or inputting data from surveys, Section 106 compliance projects, or National Register efforts.
• Designs ways of making our data available to the public, either via a web GIS app, StoryMaps, our website, or other ideas they may recommend.
• Supports the work of NeSHPO colleagues by reviewing grant applications or NR nominations.
• Travel will be required on a periodic basis.
REQUIREMENTS: Master's degree in history, archeology, architectural history or closely related field; OR Bachelor's degree in any of the above noted fields plus one of the following: a) two years experience in research, writing or teaching in a related field or b) substantial contribution through research and publication to the body of scholarly knowledge as determined applicable based on Secretary of the Interior Professional Qualifications Standards (36 CFR Part 61, Appendix A).
OTHER: Valid driver's license or able to provide independent authorized transportation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other databases.
• Detail-oriented and analytical in assessing the quality of data and how to best represent it in our databases.
• Communicate effectively with both groups and/or individuals, including strong writing skills.
Pay rate for position starts at $20.05 per hour. This position is full-time, permanent and non-exempt. Applications should be submitted through the governmentjobs.com portal by clicking on this link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nebraska/jobs/3156492/historic-preservation-survey-coordinator
Keywords: Lincoln, Job, Survey
Posted: July 16, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.