|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Director of Operations and Preservation, Judd Foundation (Marfa, TX)
Contributed By: Claire Olszewski
Director of Operations and Preservation, Marfa
Judd Foundation’s mission is to maintain and preserve Donald Judd’s permanently installed living and working spaces, libraries, and archives in Marfa, Texas and New York. The Foundation promotes a wider understanding of Judd’s artistic legacy by providing access to these spaces and resources and by developing scholarly and educational programs. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
In Marfa, the Foundation maintains a campus of twenty-one historic buildings and ranch houses, with over 40,000 square feet of permanently installed spaces. The spaces house an extensive collection of art objects, works on paper, paintings, design and ethnographic artifacts installed by Judd.
The Foundation is accepting applications for the position of Director of Operations and Preservation, Marfa. This position is located in Marfa, Texas.
This new senior staff position will be responsible for the preservation and maintenance of the Marfa sites and the collections they house. Overseeing and working closely with the Foundation’s Facilities Manager, Registrar, and Collections team. The position will manage the day-to-day operations of the sites, facilities and collection activities, and develop long-term preservation and maintenance strategies. The position will supervise the Foundation’s major restoration and capital projects. These projects include the comprehensive restoration of key buildings, the development of a new research and collections facility, and increased program spaces.
The Director of Operations and Preservation, Marfa will report to the Chief Operating Officer and be directed by the President and Artistic Director of the Foundation. Primary responsibilities include:
Preservation and Maintenance:
• Effectively manage a coordinated program of maintenance and preventive conservation in accordance with the principles of the Foundation, defined by Judd, and best preservation practices.
• Identify and report on collection and facilities requirements and strategically determine resource allocation with priority planning.
• Plan and implement a long-term program of capital improvements.
• Manage the operation of the Foundation’s buildings and utilities efficiently and sustainably.
• Manage the grounds and landholdings of the Foundation, in conjunction with environmental partners.
• Maintain knowledge of current preservation practice; contract and coordinate with consulting conservation and preservation specialists.
Restoration and Capital Projects:
• Work with Foundation’s architect and principals, stakeholders and consultants to plan major restoration projects and the development of new facilities.
• Formulate capital plans and budgets.
• Negotiate contracts and manage contractor and consultant relationships.
• Project manage major capital projects.
Budget and Administration:
• Administer the combined operations of the Marfa properties, including the Facilities and Collections Departments.
• Formulate, track, and reconcile annual budgets, reporting to the COO and Controller.
• Ensure all government, health and safety, security, insurance, and Foundation rules and protocols are implemented and adhered to.
• Supervise seven staff, evaluate performance and implement training and hiring as required.
• Negotiate contracts and manage relationships with vendors, contractors, and consulting specialists.
• Report directly to Committees of the Board of Directors.
• Work effectively with City, State, and Federal authorities and local stakeholders.
Foundation Programs and Research:
• Work collaboratively with the specialized departments of the Foundation (Programs, Archives Catalogue Raisonne, Development, and Communications) to facilitate the goals of the organization and ongoing programs, including public visits and events.
The ideal candidate for this position will bring experience, organization, commitment, and initiative, along with knowledge and a track record of managing the operations of historic sites / cultural resources; will be skilled in the management, planning, and execution of complex activities, leading teams and working collaboratively with colleagues and consultants.
• BA/BS degree.
• Minimum of five years of experience in an administrative leadership role in cultural resources, historic sites, or museum fields.
• Experience in historic sites / cultural resource management.
• Experience in facilities operations and maintenance.
• Experience in capital projects administration.
• Experience in leading teams and major projects.
• Excellent planning, organizational, and project management skills.
• Excellent financial management skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.Skilled in financial and database software (Microsoft Office suite, Adobe suite).
Employment / Salary:
• Judd Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability status, familial status, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state or local law. We strongly encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
• This position is a full-time, salaried position with a regular schedule of 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday with availability to work occasional holiday days, evenings, and weekends.
• Competitive benefits with minimum annual salary of $75,000, commensurate with experience.
Procedure for Application:
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Judd Foundation Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Operations and Preservation as the subject line. No phone calls, please. Due to the number of submissions, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Keywords: Judd, Judd Foundation, Marfa,
Posted: September 8, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.