|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Restore and/or recreate historical wood agricultural building elements including but not limited to doors, windows, and decorative moldings. Create and assembles wooden parts to form complete units, using woodworking hand and power tools. Replicate missing parts from existing units or blueprints, drawings or written instructions. Measures, shapes, adjusts, trims and sands parts and joints to ensure they fit snugly, using rules, hand tools and sandpaper.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Restoration of historical architectural wood including refinishing worn or damaged doors, windows, moldings, etc.
- Doors; re-hangs doors, custom manufacture and replace missing or damaged units, install hardware.
- Windows; re-hang windows, custom manufacture and replace missing or damaged units, install hardware.
- Decorative Moldings: remove and reinstall moldings, custom manufacture and replace missing or damaged units.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and high-quality work that Kative WoodWorks is known for.
- Read and interpret architectural and shop drawings
- Establish clarity around deadlines, ensuring that any slipping deadlines are identified early, and new deadlines are communicated to the Foreman and Superintendent
- Help fellow carpenters put new work into place, from framing to finish
- Work with Superintendent to order materials
- Evaluate door and window details, and shop drawings
- Identify when other workers or subcontractors are not working in a safe manner and report unsafe practices to the Foreman or Superintendent
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- California drivers license
- 2+ years experience in finish carpentry
- Must be a legally able to work in the US.
- Understands the basics of hanging doors & setting windows
- Familiar with mortising & installing door & window hardware
- Understands waterproofing; how to properly flash exterior doors and windows
- Trim installation. This includes trim around doors, windows, base, base shoe, and crown molding
- Familiar with coping techniques for base & crown
- Ability to mill materials to exact dimensions
- Ability to cut tapers in trim boards when walls are out of plumb
- Familiar with making jigs for routering door.
- Familiar with casework installation
- Must have full understanding and working knowledge of tools required to perform high level carpentry
- Crown molding install at various wall angles with coped or mitered joinery
- Paneling fabrication & install
- Expert at dimensioning lumber to exact size - even tapered pieces of trim
- Familiar with some stair work including handrails and skirt boards
- Satisfactory math skills figuring out angles & pitches for roofs, stairs and railings
- Skilled with the use of table saws, sanders, and other wood shop tools
- Skilled with handheld tools such as: drills, sanders, planners, and chisels
- Ability to repair or restore wood finishes
- Ability to test doors for proper opening
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
$20 - $30 per hour depending on experience.
Keywords: Carpenters, Windows, Doors, Los Angeles
Posted: October 28, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.