Docomomo US and Docomomo US/Philadelphia invites researchers, practitioners, and enthusiasts involved in the process of preservation, conservation, renovation or transformation of buildings, sites and neighborhoods of the Modern Movement to submit abstracts of papers or full sessions that align with the stated thematic goals. Topics outside of the suggested areas will be considered for open or alternate sessions. We welcome submissions that take a holistic approach to modern resources (not just the buildings), and consider the social context, technical merits, aesthetics, and settings when evaluating them. Abstracts should include how the subject contributes to the broader discussion of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, either generally or in relation to a specific field of study.
- Promote a broader understanding and appreciation of diverse modernisms, across the country and in Philadelphia specifically
- Broaden the range of voices identified with and as modern heritage
- Consider city planning’s role in shaping modern heritage
- Explore the role of archives and archival collections in modern heritage conservation
Abstracts are due by Thursday January 13, 2022 at 5 pm Eastern and should include the following required information:
All submissions must be in English. Papers should take no more than 20 minutes to present. Submissions for entire sessions should include at least two speakers and be no longer than 75 minutes long, including time for discussion.
- Title (65 characters max)Abstract (400 words max)
- What will people learn from this subject or session? (100 words max)
- Author’s name, affiliation, email, phone, address, and pronouns
- Author’s biography (200 words max)Headshot
Participants will be notified in February 2022 and a first draft will be expected in March 2022. The National Symposium is planned to take place in-person in Philadelphia from June 1-4, 2022. Speakers will be expected to present in person, in addition to providing a video recording of their presentation in advance of the Symposium to be posted for virtual viewing.
Speakers will receive a reduced registration rate for the Symposium.
View full submission guidelines here:
Submit a session here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQJNn1M6Q_kXLPy26XbdmpaVRU1tMrDvIAYQ2MC09BH-caMQ/viewform
Keywords: call for papers, cfp, call for abstracts, midcentury modern, modern architecture, historic preservation, symposium, docomomo
Posted: December 16, 2021
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.