About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in architectural history and historic preservation? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Assistant Project Architectural Historian within the Cultural Resources Program for our Half Moon Bay or San Francisco office. Under supervision of the Cultural Resources Team Lead, an Assistant Architectural Historian performs a variety of office and field tasks. Work will generally occur in the San Francisco Bay Area but will also involve projects across Northern and Southern California and the West. Candidates with experience in California are strongly encouraged to apply.
The position is hourly with an anticipated full-time workload of 40 hours a week. Some projects include overtime hours or prevailing wage rates. Travel will be at least 50% of the time. When project travel is required, per diem, hotel room accommodations, and field vehicles are provided. Project travel time is paid. Pay rate will be based on individual qualifications and experience.
What you will accomplish
* Conduct field surveys and perform historic research remotely and in-person
* Prepare historic documentation, including, but not limited to, California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) 523 Series forms
* Assist in the preparation of technical reports and historic evaluations
* Communicate regularly with the Project Manager to ensure that a project’s budgetary and timetable needs are met.
* Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective and efficient manner.
* Maintain SWCA’s high standard of technical ethics and quality assurance and is motivated to identify and resolve problems in creative ways.
* Work closely with the Cultural Resource Team Lead(s) as well as project managers, directors, and principal investigators throughout the company to promote SWCA’s business interests in adherences to its mission, vision, and values.
* Write comprehensive deliverable sections under direction.
* Perform research and literature reviews of primary and secondary sources;
* Perform basic data synthesis and analysis using research materials, documented data, and regulatory frameworks;
Experience and qualifications for success
* Master’s degree in History, Architectural History, Public History, Heritage Conservation, Historic Preservation, or a closely related field required;
* Two (2) or more years of relevant industry experience;
* Familiarity with cultural resource laws, including Section 106 of the National * Historic Preservation Act, NEPA, and CEQA;
* Experience surveying and documenting historic properties; and
* Have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive on behalf of SWCA.
* At least four (4) years of relevant industry experience
* Applies broad knowledge of regulations or guidelines to project work.
* Demonstrable strong research, writing, and communication skills; and
* Enthusiasm and eagerness to learn.
SALARY RANGE IS BETWEEN $28/HOUR and $32/HOUR
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.