Role and Responsibilities:
The Preservation Craftsperson participates in all stages of monument repairs and preservation, re-setting monuments, foundation repairs and new foundation installations, and other preservation based masonry repairs, assists in preservation and conservation work and general preservation maintenance work throughout the cemetery. The Preservation Craftsman ensures all work on site appropriately reflects the Statement of Preservation Values and Commitments approved by the Trustees of the Cemetery on December 12, 2007, and is performed in accordance with appropriate standards and best practices in preservation and conservation.
• Perform work on historic masonry throughout the cemetery including mausoleums, monuments and other grave markers and assist with project assessment of materials and conditions.
• Perform preservation and contemporary carpentry projects.
• Perform repairs to cast iron fences.
• Assist in the management of the Preservation Services Building workshop keeping tools and equipment maintained and functioning properly and ensure that materials are stocked and stored in an organized and safe manner.
• Assist and communicate effectively with onsite contractors.
• Assist with surveying the cemetery grounds for loose, leaning or potentially unsafe memorials, mausoleums, lot fences, etc.
• Assist with record keeping, maintaining field notes of work performed and photo documentation and the input of this information by computer into the appropriate preservation department database.
• Must adhere to all safety rules and procedures and utilize appropriate protective equipment and guards. Bring all workshop and job site safety concerns to the attention of direct supervisor or member of the safety committee.
• Ability to operate a variety of power tools safely and effectively.
• Work cooperatively with members of other departments and act as a “team player”, assisting other staff as necessary when short-handed or requiring additional help. Among other things, assist with snow removal, facilities maintenance, and/or the set-up or breakdown of chapels for memorial services, meetings or events.
Qualifications and physical demands include but are not limited to:
• High School diploma required and some college level courses desirable.
• Minimum of one year of practical preservation experience required.
• Two years of preservation training or the equivalent of preservation field work or schooling.
• Ability to identify stone types, evaluate conditions and recommend repairs and treatments.
• Ability to balance efficient maintenance needs with sensitive preservation concerns.
• Functional English language reading, writing and speaking skills required. Knowledge of Spanish language desirable.
• Ability to communicate effectively with cemetery staff, lot owners, visitors and outside contractors or vendors.
• Must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools safely and effectively including but not limited to cordless and corded drills, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, and bench grinder.
• Basic computer skills required and the ability to use a mouse and/or standard keyboard and computer equipment.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Ability to access all areas of the Cemetery grounds and buildings including walking up and down stairs, entering confined spaces, and navigating varied terrain.
• Ability to climb and work from all manner of ladders, scaffolding, and aerial work platforms and move both within a workshop and normal office environment.
• Ability to bend, walk, kneel, stoop, crouch, stand and reach over head for long periods of time plus lift and carry heavy materials (maximum 80 lbs.).
• May be required to work outdoors in any season or weather condition.
Hours of Work:
7:30 AM to 3:30 PM from Monday to Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends as required.
The rate range is $20/22 hourly
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “Preservation Craftsperson” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to: Human Resources
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.