Preservation Virginia seeks a skilled Preservation Craftsperson who will work as part of Preservation Virginia’s architecture team to perform repairs and maintenance on our nine historic sites across the Commonwealth. Preservation Virginia properties range in location from Hanover County (Scotchtown) to the City of Virginia Beach (Cape Henry Lighthouse) and span 1607 (Jamestowne) to 1835 (Tucker Brothers’ Store).
In addition, the architecture staff works on select contractual projects for historically significant structures throughout the state. This position reports to the Senior Craftsperson and is supervised by the Preservation Project Manager.
This position is a hands-on job that includes rough and fine carpentry, masonry, plastering, painting, glazing, roofing, and a variety of other trades specific to historical structures.
The successful candidate will support the mission and vision of Preservation Virginia and be willing to produce project documentation, write blogs and articles and speak on camera and to the public about their work. They will be able to be based within driving distance to Jamestowne and/or Bacon’s Castle, where Preservation Virginia’s workshops are located. Basic skills in masonry and/or carpentry and working knowledge of traditional building materials and construction are required. Experience with preservation-specific repair techniques and architectural documentation is preferred. This position provides on-the-job training and experience preserving 17th,18th, and 19th century Virginia architecture and an applicant with an appetite to increase their skill levels is a must.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Familiarity with traditional building materials and methods.
- Ability to Lift, carry, push, and pull object(s) weighing up to 75 pounds
- Valid Driver’s License; ability to provide your own personal transportation and capability to operate company vehicles and trailers
- Ability to travel and work throughout the state of Virginia with occasional overnight stays
- Prior carpentry and/or masonry work experience or equivalent training.
- Work in outdoor environments year round and safely work from ladders and scaffolding.
- Effectively and safely operate a variety of trade tools and equipment.
- Basic computer, email, and digital camera skills.
- Experience in other trades including painting, roofing, metalwork, plastering, HVAC, plumbing, or electrical work
- Academic training in historic preservation or related fields
- Knowledge and experience repairing and preserving historical architectural fabric consistent with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation.
- Ability to read architectural drawings, schematics, shop drawings, and blueprints
- Familiarity with the architectural history of Virginia
- Ability to generate architectural documentation and project reports
- Experience in other trades including painting, roofing, metalwork, plastering, HVAC, plumbing, and electrical work
- Ability to identify different periods of construction through analysis of tool marks, material use and construction techniques.
Position Type: Full-Time
Preservation Virginia offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes, Medical, Health Savings Account with employer contribution, Dental, Life, Short & Long Term Disability, 403(b) plan with an employer match, paid time off, and holiday pay.
To download the position description, click Junior Preservation Craftsperson
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is open until filled. EOE.