The Weston Historic Landmarks Commission is a certified local government with the mission to preserve historic sites, structures, and landscapes in Weston, WV and to educate the public about the county's heritage. Weston’s Historic Landmarks Commission is in place to protect the two national historic districts that comprise the downtown.
The purpose of this opportunity is to assist the Weston Historic Landmarks Commission’s priorities and projects, and aid in the preservation of the historic Columbia Club.
The member will typically serve five days a week during regular business hours with some evening and weekend commitments. The member will be expected to serve on-site at an office at City Hall.
The member will be responsible for the following projects:
- Continue documentation of downtown historic resources.
- Assist with the restoration of the Columbia Club, a historic property recently acquired by the City of Weston.
- Fundraising and grant sourcing for the Columbia Club project’s continuation.
- Assist with preservation and management of the Old Hill/Arnold Cemetery, located within the historic district.
- Assist with planning and execution of heritage events such as the Carp Festival, summer concert series, and newly planned marbles competition.
- Be involved with and assist other local historical groups such as the Hacker’s Creek Pioneer Descendants Library and Archives, the Museum of American Glass in Weston, and the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.
Grant writing and public speaking skills are a plus, the candidate should be knowledgeable on historic preservation and interpretation practices.
Full-time members (1700 hours,
approximately 40 hours a week) will receive a $20,000 annual stipend, paid
in 23 equal installments on the 15th and 30th of each month. Workers
compensation insurance will be provided. Group health insurance is available
for full-time members who do not have health insurance or do not qualify for
Medicaid. A childcare subsidy is available for qualified full-time members.
Unemployment coverage is not included.
AmeriCorps members will receive a Segal
AmeriCorps Education Award upon the successful completion of their term of
service. The educational award for full-time members is equivalent to the
federal Pell Grant amount for that year. The award amounts are subject to
change annually. In the 2021-2022 program year, the award was $6,495 for full-time members.
New this year! All AmeriCorps members serving in West Virginia will also
receive 2 tuition waivers for 2 separate semesters at a West Virginia public
institution. More information available upon request.