Director, Old Schwamb Mill, 17 Mill Lane, Arlington, MA 02476
Schwamb Mill is a specialized museum dedicated to preserving an historic mill
site, c. 1864, well-known for producing oval and circular wooden frames,
including the machinery and tools used to make the frames. A skilled wood
turner continues to make frames on commission using the original equipment. The
Mill offers year-round educational and arts programs including individual and
group tours, lectures, musical performances, art and history exhibits, a
seasonal crafts fair, and an annual Oktoberfest celebration.
position is part-time, approximately 15 hours per week at $30/hour. The Mill’s
regular open hours are Tuesday and Saturday, 10 am – 4 pm (12 hours/week), plus
addition hours for monthly board meetings, evening programs, special events,
etc. Flexibility is required to accommodate evening and weekend programs and
- Oversee museum administration and operations, project
management, and program development.
- Develop and manage the historic site programs including:
facility and museum operations; tours for individual visitors and groups; events
and exhibits; business management such as admissions and gift shop; stakeholder
and partnership relations.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Board members and volunteer
committees; report to Board president or designee; work with a part-time
Participate in donor relations, grant writing and other
- Knowledge/experience/interest in nonprofit museum
administration, industrial history, and/or Arlington history.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple priorities and
demands in a collaborative setting with board members, community leaders,
donors, volunteers, and others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work
effectively and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Computer and social media literacy, strong verbal and
written communication skills, and proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Public speaking experience and knowledge of audio-visual
- Three to five years of related experience and a Bachelor's
degree or equivalent education.