Canal Trust Position Description
TITLE: Canal Quarters Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs &
LOCATION: Hybrid, in office at C&O Canal National
Park Headquarters in Williamsport, MD, and telework. The position requires
frequent travel for field work in Montgomery County, MD.
DURATION: Permanent Employee
Are you ready to bring your energy and
skills to help preserve the largest national park in the Washington, DC,
region? The C&O Canal National Historical Park (NHP) runs 184.5 miles
along the Potomac River from Washington, DC, to Cumberland, Maryland. It is
beloved by over five million people who use it annually for recreation,
exercise, and the enjoyment of history and nature. Almost entirely fee-free, it
is one of the most accessible and visited national parks in the nation,
attracting higher annual visitation than either Yellowstone or Yosemite. Unique
among its attractions is the Canal Quarters overnight interpretive program, in
which visitors can stay
overnight in a restored 1830s-era stone or brick lockhouse, mere steps from
hiking, biking, boating, fishing, birding, or many other recreational
Canal Trust is the official philanthropic partner to the C&O Canal NHP, a
growing nonprofit that raises funds to preserve and protect the C&O Canal
NHP and manages programs that promote the Park’s natural, historical, and
cultural resources for recreational and educational purposes. The care and
preservation of the seven historical lockhouses in the Canal Quarters program
rank high on our list of funding and programmatic priorities, which is why we
are looking for the best person to lead the program to its next level of growth
The C&O Canal Trust seeks a Canal Quarters Manager with
strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, great attention to detail, a
strong work ethic, and ability to excel both in the office and the field. An
ideal candidate values the Trust’s mission and shares our commitment to
preserving Park resources,
helping visitors find new ways to experience the Park and volunteers to thrive in a rewarding program.
The position manages the daily operations and needs of the guests, volunteers,
and houses, as well as other programmatic support as needed.
The Canal Quarters Manager reports to the Director of
Programs and Partnerships, and works closely with Trust volunteers,
contractors, and the National Park Service. The position is based in the C&O Canal NHP in a
new headquarters building adjoining the Park in Williamsport, Maryland. Trust
staff operate under a hybrid model – in
office and telework
– but significant time will be spent in the Park as well.
- Oversees the team that supports all guest needs and inquiries. This includes staffing the after-hours hotline on evenings, weekends, and holidays, and ensuring staff get ample time off.
- Manages the teams of volunteer “Quartermasters,” who perform light upkeep and care duties between guest stays. Empowers volunteers to keep the guest experience as enjoyable as possible.
- Oversees repairs and cyclical maintenance of the historic lockhouses. Works closely with Park staff to ensure that projects meet NPS compliance and safety regulations.
- Ensures that interpretive artifacts, furnishings, and other items in the houses reflect the house’s historical setting as authentically as possible while maintaining guest comfort and safety. Evaluates each house’s interpretive experience, both onsite and virtually, with an eye to expanding accessibility to the best of the Trust’s ability.
- Communicates regularly with Trust staff, the Canal Quarters Committee, and the Board of Directors to ensure quality and consistency as well as ways to expand the program.
- Maintains detailed records and tracking projects, maintaining contact information, contracts, and appropriate forms.
members are required to assist with general organization-wide duties and at
major events. Moderate weekend work will be required. Compensatory time off is
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience required.
- Strongly prefer candidates with a good understanding of building maintenance issues, especially historic preservation. Experience working with hospitality and public lands a benefit.
- Must speak, read, and write fluently in English. Additional language competency, especially Spanish, preferred.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Flexible and self-motivated, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail while ensuring big-picture success.
- Strong computer literacy with specific experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
- An enthusiastic commitment to the C&O Canal Trust’s mission.
Demands and Safety
Work is performed both in an
indoor office environment and outside throughout the Park with conditions
varying by location and environment. Comfortability with physical work, working
with tools, and working outdoors is necessary for success, including the
ability to lift 50 pounds and independently manage supplies and tools.
Reasonable accommodation and team support can be available when needed.
The main work location will be the
Trust offices in the C&O Canal National Historical Park Headquarters in
Williamsport, Maryland. The Park covers
184.5 miles along the Potomac River and touches many communities. Travel to a
variety of locations, including on unpaved backroads, is central to the
position. An excellent driving record is required and access to a personal
vehicle is necessary. Mileage reimbursements are offered.
Salary Range and
The salary range is
$44,000-$47,000 based on experience and the ability to meet the required
responsibilities. The Trust offers a competitive benefits package including
partial telework, 100 percent employer paid health insurance premiums;
vacation, sick, and personal leave; 14 paid holidays; and the C&O Canal
Trust’s Simple IRA retirement program (up to 3 percent employer matched).
consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume to Aidan Barnes,
Director of Programs & Partnerships (they/them), at email@example.com as soon as possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is
filled. To learn more about the C&O Canal Trust and the Canal Quarters interpretive program, please go to www.canaltrust.org/programs/canal-quarters.
The C&O Canal Trust is
committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless
of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political
affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.