|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in environmental consulting services for your clients? Our Arlington office offers a unique work environment, involving close collaboration with the other natural and cultural resources management teams in Austin and San Antonio, providing services throughout all of Central / West Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The position is based out of our Arlington (DFW) office, and the applicant must be willing to relocate, if not already there.
As a Cultural Resources Crew Lead (HR Title = Staff Archaeologist), you will be an integral member of our collaborative team, contributing to successful projects in our local offices and with other SWCA offices as part of OneSWCA. Your role will be to lead archaeology field crews in support of a variety of renewable energy, energy transmission, transportation, oil and gas, and land development projects. This means that a key element of your job will be to independently supervise archaeological survey crews in the field. The successful candidate(s) should be able to work outside in challenging conditions and travel extensively throughout the Central / West Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas regions. The successful candidate will also be involved with technical report preparation.
Compensation and Schedule: Starting at $23.25 an hour.
Work schedule would be six-days on, one day off (10-hour days). Per diem, housing, and company vehicles provided. Mileage reimbursement is provided for work-related use of personal vehicles.
Positions will be filled as soon as qualified applicants are identified.
What you will accomplish
- Communicating effectively with Field Directors, Project Managers, and GIS staff through regular, scheduled field status reports (both verbally and written).
- Supervise and lead small field crew while conducting archaeological surveys, testing, and data recovery. This includes:
- independently assigning and directing the activities of others on behalf of SWCA, often in remote areas without immediate guidance from senior managers, to ensure quality and on-time delivery;
- ensuring that employees understand their responsibilities and delegated tasks and being held accountable if crew members under your supervision are not performing their activities correctly, productively, and safely;
- serving as a conduit of communication between employees and senior managers, including communicating issues to relevant senior managers;
- receiving and resolving complaints from employees in the field; and,
- monitoring team productivity and providing timely performance feedback, including deciding when disciplinary action is necessary and delivering discipline.
- Participating in technical research and writing and data QA/QC for reporting efforts.
- Assisting with mapping responsibilities in the field, including collection of GPS data using Survey 123 or Arc Collector software.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Anthropology, Archaeology or a closely related field.
- Completed accredited field school experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience with a wide range of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Archaeological field experience in the Central / West Texas region.
- Previous field supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of Survey 123 or Arc Collector software.
- Ability to travel an estimated 75% of the time.
- Relocation benefits are not available for this position.
- Willing to travel overnight for extended periods of time.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a motor vehicle record screening.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges on all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Arlington, Texas-based position can expect an hourly rate of $23.25/hour - $29.75/hour. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position is eligible for our wellness paid time off, employee assistance program and wellness program.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.