Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
GENERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT PRESERVATIONDIRECTORY.COM:
- What is PreservationDirectory.com?
PreservationDirectory.com is the leading source of information related to historic preservation, cultural resources, heritage tourism, urban planning, and historic real estate. We provide free access to all sorts of information related to historic preservation - you will find:
- Directories for historic organizations in North America: Historical societies, State Historic Preservation Offices, downtown & mainstreet revitalization, etc.
- Directories for historic structures and the groups that work to preserve them: Historic theaters, cincemas, and opera houses; historic house museums; other historic places and structures.
- Historic Real Estate for Sale Guide
- View hundreds of historic homes, buildings and other historic structures for sale in North America. Also, we are currently building a database of real estate agents in North America who can help find your historic dreamhouse.
- Heritage tourism resources: Directory of historic tours in North America, and a directory of Historic Lodging: Bed and Breakfasts, Inns, and Hotels.
- Historic Destinations & Architectural Style Photo Galleries: An ever-growing photo gallery featuring historic districts, architecture from historic cities and other historic places. We also maintain a photo gallery of the most common architectural styles in the United States.
HISTORIC REAL ESTATE FOR SALE QUESTIONS:
- I am a professional real estate agent - can I list on PreservationDirectory.com?
- Yes, we accept listings from the homeowner and/or professional representatives of the historic property. Click here to learn more about listing your historic property.
- Real Estate Agent Directory - we also maintain a directory of real estate agents who are passionate about historic preservation. Full page listings include your contact information, photo, your mission statement, and a cross-referenced display of your current property listings on our site (with link to the listing). In addition to the excellent additional exposure this provides, you also receive an automatic 20% discount on property listings activated while your real estate agent listing is active! For more information about this directory, click here.
- My home for sale is not currently on the local, Statewide, or National Register of Historic Places - can I still list it on your site?
Yes. The only criteria we use for being able to list on the site is that the home or building must be 50 years old or older.
- How do I list my home(s) on your site?
Our convenient and secure online form allows you to submit your listing information, as well as all or your photos, directly to us. After you submit your listing, you will be provided a login and password so that you can maintain your listings 24/7 - we are also able to help answer any questions or help revise your listing if needed. Click here to learn more about listing your historic property.
- After I submit my historic property for sale, how long until it appears on your website?
We receive an email immediately after you submit your historic property for sale via our online form. This notifies us that a property is pending, and allows us the ability to scan for typo's and make sure everything looks good before it goes live to the website. This process only takes a few minutes - if submitted between 7am and 10pm PST, your listing can typically be on the website within minutes or no more than 1-2 hours (we are normally chained to our computers, so expect a speedy activation, as again this process only takes a few minutes).
- After I list on your site, how do I make changes to my listing(s)?
After you submit your listing, you will be provided a login and password so that you can maintain your listings 24/7. You will have full access to your listing through our secure "Members Areas", and will be able to change the sell price, alter your contact information, upload new/alternate photos, and make any other revision that is needed. Please note, we are always available to help answer any questions or help revise your listing if needed. Click here to learn more about listing your historic property.
HISTORIC FUNDING QUESTIONS:
- I am interesting about funding sources and tax incentives for an upcoming project on my historic building or home - do you have resources you could recommend?
There are many resources available to help fund preservation projects, including tax credits and other financial incentives provided by government organizations:
- SHPOs - we always suggest that your first stop should be to your State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), as they can outline all the programs specific to your State, County or City. We maintain a list of all SHPOs on our site - click here for a current list of SHPO's.
- Other Resources:
- The Preservation Blog - launched in June 2007, the Preservation Blog is a collection of articles on a variety of topics related to historic and cultural resource preservation. A section of the blog covers funding sources, grants and tax incentives available to those undertaking a restoration or other preservation activity. To view the blog, click here.
PRESERVATION EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
- Do you are employment opportunities available?
We are not currently hiring, but do provide a broad array of resources for those looking for employment in historic preservation, cultural resource preservation, museum-related employment, archeology, architecture, building restoration, and other areas of employment related to historic and cultural resource preservation (see below for instruction on how to access this section of our website).
- You used to have a section on your website that provided information on employment resources for jobs in the fields of historic and cultural resource preservation - where did it go?
We still maintain this resource - it is now found under our "Preservation General Resources" section, under the header "Employment Resources (Historic Preservation, Architecture, Building Restoration, Museums, etc)". To go to this section, click here and scroll down the page and click on the "Employment Resources" link.
- Also, be sure to check out The Preservation Blog - launched in June 2007, the Preservation Blog is a collection of articles on a variety of topics related to historic and cultural resource preservation. A section of the blog contains postings of employment opportunities in fields related to historic and cultural resource preservation. To view the blog, click here.
- Where is your directory of historic theaters, movie palaces and opera houses?
The directory of historic theaters, movie palaces and opera houses is now located in the "Museums & Historic Structures" section. Click here to view the "Museums & Historic Structures" section, then scroll down the page and select the "Historic Theaters" link. Then search by State/Province or Region to view the historic theaters and opera houses in our directory.
- I own/operate a historic theater and don't see it listed in your directory - how do we include our historic theater?
Listing your historic theater on our site is FREE - to list it, simply fill out our secure online form (we will then receive an email notifying us of your request, and will authorize it for inclusion on the website shortly thereafter). To fill out our secure form, click here.
- Do you have photos of historic theaters on your website?
Yes, we maintain a gallery of photos in our "Historic Photo Galleries" section for historic theaters, movie palaces and opera houses. To view the theater gallery and our other galleries of historic places and districts, click here.
PRESERVATION EDUCATION, GRADUATE & UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS:
- Where do you list Historic Preservation & Building Arts educational programs, including graduate programs, undergraduate programs, programs that specialize in historic preservation (and related)?
HOW DO I SUPPORT THE EFFORTS OF PRESERVATIONDIRECTORY.COM?
- PreservationDirectory.com provides free resources for the preservation community, and relies on the support of paid advertisers and the support of our loyal community in order to maintain our online resource. Interested in supporting our efforts?
The site is going strong and we are excited for another great year in 2009, but your support goes a long way towards helping our mission. Here are a few ways that you can help our efforts - your support is most appreciated!
- We have added Google AdWords to the sidebar of our website. We have worked to keep these ads non-intrusive - please consider clicking on the ads listed, as they go a long way towards supporting PreservationDirectory.com (and there are some great resources listed). The ads are located in the blue sidebar on the left-hand side of our website (directly below our contact information). We encourage you to click on some of these ads each time you visit PreservationDirectory.com.
- Consider listing your preservation-related business, your historic property for sale, or your historic inn, bed and breakfast and/or hotel. For more information, please click on the links above or contact us for more information.
- Support the paid advertisers listed on our website.
We provide listings for preservation-related businesses, historic homes for sale, and historic lodging (inns, bed and breakfasts, and hotels) in different sections of the website. These paid listings provide key support to our website and we encourage you to support them.
- Purchase Books Featured in the "Preservation Bookstore".
Looking for a great book for your research library or searching for a great present for a colleague or friend interested in historic and cultural preservation? Please consider purchasing a book listed in our "Preservation Bookstore" - we feature great books, essential for any preservationist, and the best part is that we receive a small percentage of the sale price from Powells.com. To view the Preservation Bookstore, please click here.