PreservationDirectory.com
PreservationDirectory.com
 
home
preservation events & conferences
press releases & job postings
grants & funding sources
heritage marketing services
preservation library:
articles, regulations & policy
preservation organizations
& resources
museums & historic structures
historic real estate
› search for historic homes
› featured properties
› new homes for sale
› find an agent
› list your historic property
› join the unlimited
  property listing program
› list your agency
› testimonials
› sign up for email updates
Quick Links to
Our Listing Forms:








preservation businesses,
products & services
historic lodging:
inns, b&b's, hotels
historic tours
preservation general resources
historic photo galleries
preservation bookstore
frequently asked questions
about us
join email list
contact us
site map


member login

Featured
Property For Sale
View more information about this historic property for sale in Woodbury, Tennessee

Captivating 4-bedroom, 3.5-bathroom, 4,400± sq ft historical home

Woodbury, TN
PreservationDirectory.com
30 Bromley Road
Pittsford, NY 14534
Phone: (503) 308-0500

Email Us!





ArchiveInABox

WeddingGownPreservationKit.com

Victorian Revival Vintage Lighting

Mad Dog Primer



PreservationDirectory.com

Property Details: Saint Peters Episcopal Church     


Property Details: Saint Peters Episcopal Church
Go Back Print  
Property Information
Saint Peters Episcopal Church
108 US Hwy 15 South
Stovall, NC
Find it with Google™ Maps!
Price: $115,000
Square Feet: 1,172
Lot Description/Acreage:
0.84 acres / Residential-Agricultural
Year Built:
1880
 
Contact Information
Name: Cathleen Turner
Agency: Preservation North Carolina, Piedmont Office
Phone: 919-401-8540
Fax: 919-832-1651
Email: Send an email...
Website: Visit the website...
    Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC
(Click on a thumbnail below to view a larger image)
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Stovall, NC
 
Property History

The congregation of Saint Peters Episcopal Church was established around 1870 by members of the Gregory family and other residents in the Stovall community, many originating from Virginia. About ten years later they built this simple, yet elegant, rectangular frame chapel with large nine-over-nine double hung sash windows and louvered shutters, a beveled cornice and returns, and a wide paneled frieze.

In 1902, the church was consecrated by the Right Reverend Joseph Blount Cheshire, Bishop of North Carolina. Perhaps in anticipation of the Bishop’s visit, the church was renovated around 1900 including the installation of the pointed arched stained glass window on the west wall behind the chancel. In 1916, the structure was “placed on rollers” and moved further back on the lot to its present location, and work began on the bell tower. The two-story entrance tower features a high-pitched roof covered in pressed metal shingles that flare out at the eaves creating a broad overhang. A diamond shaped vent is set below the cornice band above the front entrance and carries the sound of the bell which is still housed in the belfry.

The entrance is comprised of two large paneled doors beneath a transom, with a bell rope located to the left of the entrance doors. The anteroom is further lit by windows on the south and north walls. The main sanctuary is entered through another set of paneled double-doors with engaged pilasters and molded architrave surround. The quiet simplicity of the chapel is enlivened by horizontally laid beadboard on the walls that continues up the ceiling. In addition to the tall double hung windows, the interior space is lit by simple bulbs that hang on wire above the wood pews. In the center of the space was a wood stove that provided the congregation with warmth in cold weather. The decorated stove has been disconnected, but is stored onsite and the chimney above its former location still pierces the roof.

At the back of the church is the chancel framed by a pointed arch set upon a raised platform. Behind a molded railing with plain picket balustrade is the hand-painted Gothic Revival alter and the lovely stained glass arched window. Flanking the chancel are two rooms entered through doors with patterned beadboard design. The room on the left has a small beadboard door to the alter.

Interior furnishings include the pews, some chairs, and carved benches, plus an organ, piano, and portraits of the Gregory Family who built the church. The crucifix above the sanctuary entrance is from Mexico and was given to the church by E.N. and Marion Dickerson. They also gave the cross on top of the bell tower in 1907. The Dickersons were wealthy New Yorkers who bought a hunting lodge nearby and attended the church during their visits to North Carolina. Mr. Dickerson was the patent attorney for Alexander Graham Bell.

Services were held in the church for 100 years until 1970 when it was deconsecrated. The property was then purchased by members of the Gregory family who have used it for celebrations and functions. Several members of the Gregory family are buried in the small cemetery adjacent to the church.

 

 
Property Description

Quaint rural church built c.1880 with high ceilings, large windows and stained glass arched window, two-story bell tower, original finishes, and pews. Perfect for a charming event venue or a cute coffee shop!

The church is in good condition and would benefit from some maintenance and thoughtful updates. The building has an electrical system (service disconnected). There is no plumbing or modern heating/cooling. The Town of Stovall has public water and sewer available; however, the church is not yet connected to the public system.

Note: Use coordinates 36.4469397,-78.5705577 for mapping information

 

 
Additional Notes

Just one hour north of Raleigh, Stovall is a small town with a strong desire for recreation. Granville County brings together the best of small-town living and easy access to metropolitan amenities. It is home to thriving equestrian, agri-tourism, and recreational opportunities including farms, stables, local farmers markets, access to five lakes (Lake Devin, Lake Holt, Lake Rogers, Falls Lake, and Kerr Lake), greenways, bike trails, and two recreation facilities. John Penn, one of the original signatories of the United States Declaration of Independence, lived just three miles northeast of Saint Peters, and the historical marker sits in the front yard of the church.

 

Last Updated: February 21, 2024
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified.


 
 

Interested in listing your historic or vintage home / property / building for sale?  PreservationDirectory.com is the premier destination for historic and cultural preservation on the internet, and as such brings in your ideal target audience (historic homeowners, building restoration professionals, historical society members, museum curators, etc). 

Click here for more information on listing your historic home for sale.

Ready to list your historic home for sale?  Click here to use our secure online submit form.

   



PreservationDirectory.com | preservation events & conferences | press releases & job postings | organizations & resources
museums & historic structures | historic real estate | preservation businesses, products & services | historic lodging
historic tours | preservation general resources | historic photo galleries | preservation bookstore | preservation library
frequently asked questions | about us | join email list | heritage marketing services | contact us | site map

© Copyright 2024 - PreservationDirectory.com | website by Stolutions