Advisory Council on Historic Preservation Announces Expanded Eligibility for 2008 Preserve America Presidential Awards
Contributed By: Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
Email The Author: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) is accepting nominations through November 1, 2007, for the 2008 Preserve America Presidential Awards that are now open to all exemplary historic preservation and heritage tourism efforts meeting award program criteria.
Formerly, preservation projects had to be primarily privately funded to qualify for the awards program. Beginning with this 2008 call for nominations, publicly funded preservation projects may also be considered. This means that preservation efforts meeting Preserve America Presidential Award criteria that are funded by private, federal, state, city, county, or tribal means, or any combination of funding sources, now are eligible.
Nominations for outstanding and innovative heritage tourism projects and programs based upon sustainable use of cultural and natural historic resources also are sought in addition to preservation efforts.
Four Preserve America Presidential Awards will be presented during Preservation Month in May 2008. Nomination forms and criteria, as well as information on past winners and the overall Preserve America initiative, are available at www.PreserveAmerica.gov.
The 16 recipients of the Preserve America Presidential Award to date are:
- Lackawanna Heritage Valley (Pennsylvania)
- Blue Ridge Heritage Initiative (Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia)
- The Beaumont Hotel (Ouray, Colorado)
- Historic Raven Natural Resource Learning Center (Kootenai National Forest, Montana)
- Restoration of The Mount (Lenox, Massachusetts)
- Texas Heritage Trails Program (Texas)
- Bolduc Historic Properties (Sainte Genevieve, Missouri)
- Isaiah Davenport House Museum (Savannah, Georgia)
- Mission San Luis (Tallahassee, Florida)
- Maryland Heritage Areas Program (Maryland)
- Tauck World Discovery Yellowstone Guest-Volunteer Program (Yellowstone National Park, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming)
- Explore the Highway with Hampton Save-A-Landmark® Program (Nationwide)
- USS Midway Museum (San Diego, California)
- Natchitoches-Cane River Region Heritage Tourism Initiative (Louisiana)
- Downtown St. Louis Revitalization (Missouri)
- The History Channel: Save Our History (Nationwide)
Keywords: Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, Preserve America Presidential Awards
Posted: September 7, 2007
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.