Heritage Preservation and the College Art Association invite nominations for the 2011 Award for Distinction in Scholarship and Conservation. This award was initiated in 1990 to recognize an outstanding contribution by one or more persons who, individually or jointly, have enhanced understanding of art through the application of knowledge and experience in conservation, art history, and art.
The 2010 recipient is David Bomford of the Getty Museum for his more than 30 years of scholarship, practical application, and leadership in the field of paintings conservation. Go to http://www.heritagepreservation.org/awards/caaBomford.htm to read more about Mr. Bomford and this year’s award.
Nominations for the 2011 Awards must be received by August 31, 2010, at the CAA, 275 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001. Guidelines for nominations can be found at http://www.collegeart.org/awards/conservation.html or by contacting Lauren Stark of CAA at lstark(a)collegeart.org.
Other former award recipients include:
- in 2009, Carol Stringari and Michael Gordon for their work on the Guggenheim Museum’s exhibition Imageless: The Scientific Study and Experimental Treatment of an Ad Reinhardt Black Painting, and for the research project that led to the exhibition.
- in 2008, Elizabeth Bolman of Temple University for her work on the conservation of the wall paintings in the Red Monastery, a late-antique basilica near Sohag, Egypt, as well as the neighboring White Monastery.
- in 2007, Lawrence Becker and Christine Kondoleon for their publication The Arts of Antioch: Art Historical and Scientific Approaches to Roman Mosaics and a Catalog of the Worcester Art Museum Antioch Collection.
- in 2006, Don Kalec and Jim Thorpe for their work on the restoration of the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio;
- in 2005, film preservationist Paolo Cherchi Usai;
- in 2004, Carol Mancusi-Ungaro, founding director of the Center for the Technical Study of Modern Art; and
- in 2003, Ernst van de Wetering for his book Rembrandt: The Painter at Work.
Keywords: Heritage Preservation, College Art Association, scholarship, awards
Posted: May 27, 2010
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.