PreservationDirectory.com
PreservationDirectory.com
 
home
preservation events & conferences
press releases & job postings
› main menu
› article guidelines
› submit an article
grants & funding sources
heritage marketing services
preservation library:
articles, regulations & policy
preservation organizations
& resources
museums & historic structures
historic real estate
preservation businesses,
products & services
historic lodging:
inns, b&b's, hotels
historic tours
preservation general resources
historic photo galleries
preservation bookstore
frequently asked questions
about us
join email list
contact us
site map


member login

Featured
Property For Sale
View more information about this historic property for sale in Iron Station, North Carolina

Ingleside - PRICE REDUCED!

Iron Station, NC
PreservationDirectory.com
30 Bromley Road
Pittsford, NY 14534
Phone: (503) 308-0500

Email Us!
foo




ArchiveInABox

WeddingGownPreservationKit.com

Mad Dog Primer

University of Oregon



PreservationDirectory.com

Call for Papers & Educational Programs in Preservation     


Call for Papers & Educational Programs in Preservation
Back to Press Releases Print   Submit an Article
Dedication Ceremony of the Newburyport Powder House Park and Learning Center
Historic Preservation Blog from PreservationDirectory.com - Powder House
Contributed By: Carrie Hometh
Email The Author: cbhometh@gmail.com
Website: http://www.nbptpreservationtrust.org

The formal dedication ceremony for Newburyport's restored 1822 Powder House Park and Learning Center will be held at the Godfrey's Hill site off Low Street site at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, September 20, 2012.
 
The ceremony, marking nine years of restoration guided by the Newburyport Preservation Trust and funded by donations and grants, will include remarks by supportive dignitaries, recognition of generous donors, and tours showcasing the restoration work.
 
The distinctive circular brick Powder House was built in 1822, replacing an earlier Powder House at Bartlet Mall, as a safe place to store gunpowder, flints, musket balls, and camp kettles used by the local militia in the unsettled aftermath of the War of 1812. The secure structure, built well away from homes, was also used to store gunpowder for non-military uses such as road or bridge construction. The Powder House was used beyond the Civil War years, but since then survived over a century of neglect.
 
Driving directions - Take U.S. Rte. 95 to Exit 57/Route 113 East. Turn right on Low Street. The Powder House (57 Low Street) is across the street from the Rupert A Nock Middle School. Parking is available at the school parking lot. No toilet facilities are available at the site. The walk to the site includes a slight incline.
 
Newburyport celebrates and commemorates historic preservation and educational efforts that include the annual Newburyport Preservation Week.  Activities are open to the public and most are free. For more information, visit www.nbptpreservationtrust.org.


Keywords: Powder House

Posted: September 4, 2012
Back to Press Releases Print   Submit an Article


Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.
   



PreservationDirectory.com | preservation events & conferences | press releases & job postings | organizations & resources
museums & historic structures | historic real estate | preservation businesses, products & services | historic lodging
historic tours | preservation general resources | historic photo galleries | preservation bookstore | preservation library
frequently asked questions | about us | join email list | heritage marketing services | contact us | site map

© Copyright 2021 - PreservationDirectory.com | website by Stolutions