Sometimes, South Carolina loses architectural treasures that can never be replaced. Often, publicity and recognition is centered on those who want to demolish a historic building. Sometimes, preservationists just cannot overcome the obstacles to saving a precious historic site.
But sometimes, many times in fact, South Carolinians are successful in finding adaptive uses for older buildings - are successful in convincing government entities to designate and protect historic sections of a city - are successful in using time honored techniques to achieve lasting beauty. It is these times and these South Carolinians that we want to reward and showcase to the rest of the state.
The Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation, the South Carolina Department of Archives and Historyand the Office of the Governor annually recognize South Carolina's pioneers, stewards, innovators, and leaders who set an example for their dedication to preserving our architectural and cultural heritage.
There are six different categories of awards:
- Honor Awards which highlight specific completed preservation projects
- Stewardship Awards which recognize those who care for, maintain, and assure the protection of historic sites
- Service Awards highlight projects or activities that further the cause of historic preservation
- Heritage Tourism Awards go to projects that use cultural and historic resources to promote tourism or use tourism to directly benefit preservation
- Elected Official Awards honor elected officials (local, state or national) for significant achievements or landmark efforts in support of historic preservation
- Governor's Award goes to an individual who has demonstrated a lifelong dedication to the preservation of South Carolina's historic buildings, structures or sites
Do you know someone you believe should receive one of these awards? Is there a restoration project you feel deserves special recognition for its creativity, difficulty or importance to the community?
If so, take the reins and send in your nomination today! (You may certainly nominate yourself - we're about honoring accomplishments here, not being modest.)
We want to ensure that those South Carolinians who are willing to go the extra mile to protect our historic places are not forgotten. Won't you help us to draw attention to those who have made our state a better place through preservation?
We will need a little more than just your word on this, so go to our website right away (ie, click here) to download the nomination packet. It will tell you the exact requirements for each award and what you need to do to submit your nomination. The deadline for submission is March 15, so don't delay!
You will be a preservation hero for helping us identify these other preservation heroes.
Posted: February 25, 2014
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.