The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a full-time Digitization Specialist for an intensive, a grant funded one-year position (renewable) that will continue to work on the first online access to the museum collections of the Newport Mansions in Newport, RI.
The Preservation Society’s has been working for 2 years on its first major collections digitization project that has created online access to information and photographs of fine and decorative arts, furniture, textiles, sculpture, architectural elements, and archival documents as phase one in digitizing our collection of 60,000 objects. The collections and archives are hosted on the collaborative website: Newportalri.org. Reporting to the Collections Manager, the Digitization Specialist will standardize collections data to be hosted online, assist with customizing a new collections database web interface, and update and troubleshoot data online as needed. Day to day responsibilities include data standardization, assisting with database administration and registration, working with photographers to digitize the collection.
Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9am - 5pm.
- Using the MuseumPlus collections database to standardize collections data and prepare for online hosting.
- Submitting standardized data to Newportalri.org. Troubleshooting and updating data, forms, or procedures as needed.
- Coordinating contract photographer and/or performing collections photography as needed.
- Assisting with the development of a long term digitization strategy for collections.
- Assisting the Collections Manager with registration and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies/Historic Preservation, Art History, Cultural Heritage Management, or other relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience working with museum collections databases required, digitization experience preferred. Ability to quickly adapt to the MuseumPlus collections database and develop a system for processing and tracking data.
- Knowledge of current trends in collections digitization.
- Object-handling experience in a museum or historic site.
- Basic photography skills and experience with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and efficient with the ability to work highly independently as well as part of a team.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the history of Newport and/or 19th century history and decorative arts an asset.
Please email a cover letter, resume with contact information for references, and a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI. Please, no phone calls.
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.