|Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Employment Opportunities, Jobs & Internships in Preservation & Cultural Resources
Sites Manager Position for Arts and Cultural Organization Dedicated to Preserving Willa Cather's Legacy, The National Willa Cather Center (Red Cloud, NE)
Contributed By: Catherine Pond
Job Title: Sites Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt Position
The Willa Cather Foundation (WCF) seeks a highly-organized, technically skilled, and multi-talented candidate to fill a new Sites Manager position. The Sites Manager will ensure the short- and long-term maintenance, security, and safety of the Foundation’s facilities and grounds. These properties include the National Willa Cather Center (30,000 square feet); the Red Cloud Opera House (11,000 square feet); and nine sites on the National Register of Historic Places, including Willa Cather’s Childhood Home (a National Historic Landmark), the Burlington Depot, the Farmers and Merchants Bank, the Cather Second Home, Pavelka Farmstead, J.L. Miner House, and three historic churches.
The Sites Manager is responsible for managing Facilities Assistants (currently two), engaging independent contractors, and overseeing contracted vendors. Managerial duties include training and evaluation of the Facilities Assistants, evaluating current procedures, and making improvements as needed to work more efficiently.
• Proactively review all general maintenance and maintain detailed maintenance records on all HVAC units, security systems, fire suppression systems, and other equipment
• Ensure janitorial cleaning, upkeep, and safety standards are maintained and efficiencies are discovered to provide a safe and secure environment for guests and staff
• Maintain compliance with applicable regulations by completing regularly scheduled inspections per established schedules and update maintenance checklists as needed
• Oversee the safe and proper maintenance of equipment and tools including coordinating repairs and/or replacement and ensuring all are returned to appropriate storage areas
• Monitor security, fire, and emergency safety equipment
• Respond to and resolve issues regarding security systems, buildings, and grounds
• Manage and conduct basic maintenance and repairs including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and hire outside vendors/contractors when needed
• Keep centralized detailed records of preservation work completed, costs, warranty cards, paint colors, and other pertinent material
• Oversee construction projects, ensuring they are performed timely and within budget
• Regularly communicate maintenance concerns or emergencies
• Develop a long-range facility maintenance plan including necessary improvements and costs
• Create an annual budget request and adhere to approved budget, managing expenses for the benefit of the organization
• Coordinate set-up and clean-up for public programs and events
• Assist in coordinating shipping, packing, and crate construction for artwork shipments
Education and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree with technical training in facility management, construction, or a related field is preferred
• Minimum 1–3 years of experience as a facility manager or related profession that involved conducting repairs and renovations including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc.
• Well versed in facilities management and historic preservation best practices
• Experience creating and managing a budget
• Outstanding leadership skills, organizational skills, and impeccable attention to detail
• Strong analytical skills to review complex information in order to make decisions based on priorities and budget availability
• Clear and concise communication skills to effectively manage facilities employees
• Experience using Gmail, Google Calendar and Drive, and Microsoft applications
• Ability to have a flexible work schedule when needed (occasional evenings and weekends)
• Motivation to understand and promote the Willa Cather Foundation’s mission
• Appreciation for rural America and small town life
• A desire to put down roots and stay in Red Cloud
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 40 lbs.
• Must be able to perform moderate to heavy manual labor
• Must be able to crawl, bend, stretch, and climb while performing routine tasks
• Must be able to work in non-temperature controlled areas throughout the year
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive a motor vehicle
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried position. Competitive compensation will be based on experience. Benefits, including health insurance, IRA, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO) are available.
This job description may evolve over time. Duties and the position status are subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different and/or additional responsibilities.
To apply, send cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to:
The Willa Cather Foundation
Attn: Human Resources
413 North Webster Street
Red Cloud, NE 68970
email@example.com | www.WillaCather.org
DEADLINE: Applicants are encouraged to apply by Monday, August 26, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
Keywords: Sites Manager, Willa Cather, historic properties, preservation, Red Cloud, Nebraska
Posted: July 24, 2019
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.