Preservation Action is launching an initiative to ramp up advocacy efforts around the Historic Tax Credit Growth and Opportunity Act (H.R. 2294, S. 2266) by inviting members of Congress to visit a Historic Tax Credit project during an upcoming in-district work period. We're asking members and supporters to join us by reaching out to your Representative and Senators and urge them to co-sponsor the bipartisan Historic Tax Credit Growth and Opportunity Act and invite them to tour a Historic Tax Credit project in their district/state, especially projects that would be made easier to complete if the HTC-GO Act is enacted.
This is a critical time to reach members of Congress. The enhancements to the Historic Tax Credit included in the HTC-GO Act are needed now, more than ever. Recent National Park Service statistics show that HTC Part 2 applications were down in FY2021 by almost 20% compared to FY2019. The passage of HTC-GO provisions would enable projects to address financing challenges prolonged by a diminished credit value as well as skyrocketing material and labor costs.
- Reach out to your members of Congress and urge them to cosponsor the Historic Tax Credit Growth and Opportunity Act. If your Representative or Senators have already cosponsored, be sure to thank them! Preservation Action has made it easy for you to take action through our online advocacy tool!
- Invite your members of Congress to tour a completed, in-progress, or potential HTC project in their district/state, prior to the November midterm elections. This is one of most effective ways to demonstrate the value of the HTC. Be sure to also discuss how the HTC-GO could further benefit communities across their district/state. Be flexible with possible dates to meet, but if your member of Congress is unavailable, offer to meet with their staff.
- Review the Congressional site-visit guide put together by our partners at the National Trust Community Investment Corporation and the Historic Tax Credit Coalition to make it easy for advocates to reach out to their lawmakers.
If you need any assistance arranging a site visit or meeting contact Rob Naylor at Preservation Action (firstname.lastname@example.org). Also be sure share stories and photos from your site visits with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
- Historic Tax Credit Advocacy Week One Pager
- HTC State Maps and Project Lists
- State of the Historic Rehabilitation Industry 2022
- Preservation Action HTC-GO Action Alert
Unless noted, the thoughts and opinions expressed in the article are solely that of the
author and not necessarily the opinion of the editors of PreservationDirectory.com.