Type of Employment: Full Time, Professional
Location: Anamosa, Iowa
Salary: $47,000 - $60,000, plus benefits
Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. has an opening for an Archaeologist/Laboratory Director to join our team. We will be completing major data recovery excavations in Des Moines, Iowa, this spring and summer. We seek an individual to assist with fieldwork and supervise the organization, processing, and analysis of the Phase III artifact assemblages (precontact and historic-era components), as well as materials from other projects. In addition to management of archaeological materials, the position will involve independent field research and report preparation.
This is an amazing opportunity to be involved in a large archaeological research project.
- M.A. in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a closely related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with archaeological analysis, including artifact analysis of both precontact and historic artifact assemblages, preferably from the upper Midwest and/or Plains regions.
- Strong writing skills are desired.
- Strong organizational and management skills. Ability to teach and supervise laboratory staff.
- Applicants with specialized skills, such as faunal analysis, lithic analysis, ethnobotanical analysis, GIS, etc. are encouraged to apply.
- We are looking for a team player who loves archaeology, wants to learn and teach others, and has a strong work ethic. The position will present opportunities for professional development and growth.
Why Work for Wapsi Valley Archaeology?
We are a medium-sized firm with the heart of a small firm. We will help you to achieve your goals and grow professionally. We will treat you fairly and kindly. We care about our employees and want you to succeed.
About Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc.
Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. is a full-service cultural resource services firm based in historic downtown Anamosa, Iowa. We offer the full range of services and professional assistance for all phases of archaeological and historical investigations. Our study range covers portions of the Upper Midwest including Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. Our goal is to provide excellence in services to our clients. For more information about us, visit our website at http://wapsivalleyarch.com.
Anamosa is an approximately 30-minute drive from Cedar Rapids and 45 minutes from Iowa City, and next to Wapsipinicon State Park.
Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. does not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, age, creed, physical or mental disability, color, sex, actual or perceived gender orientation/identity, ethnicity, national origin, familial status, or protected veteran status in its employment practices, in the selection and retention of subconsultants, and in its procurement of materials and leases. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, actual or perceived gender orientation, national origin, age, creed, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, ancestry, familial status, or protected veteran status, or otherwise as required by law.
How to Apply
Please send your resume/CV and a list of three references to: Employment@wapsivalleyarch.com. Call Nurit Finn (she/her/hers) at (319) 462-4760 if you have questions or would like more information about the position.